Pork Chops Stuffed with Proscuitto & Porcini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Among the Sicilians, the succulent veal or pork chop was a preferred main course at banquets. The original version was made with veal and fresh truffles. I have substituted pork chops and mushrooms. Pour a red wine Barolo and prepare a salad for the starter ...

Enjoy ...

Pork Chops:

4 pork lion chops ( or veal chops about 3/4 pound each )
2 tblsps Evoo
10 tblsps Italian white wine of good quality
salt and blk freshly grind pepper

Stuffing:

3/4 oz. mushrooms of availability fresh
1 cup hot water
1 tsp butter
1 tblsp Evoo
3 spring onions ( or shallot or onion )
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground blk pepper
3 ounces of Proscuitto di Parma or other air dried ham finely chopped

For the Pork ( Or Veal Chops ):

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit
2. have the Butcher create a 1 inch long, 1 inch wide deep slit to go 3/4 inches through the meat for spooning stuffing into the pockets, and skewer closed with toothpicks or kitchen thread.
3. Heat oil in heavy oven proof skillet over medium to high heat and add chops, brown well about 1 to 2 mins. per side.
4. reduce heat to medium low and cook 3 mins per side and transfer skillet to oven and cook the chops 20 to 25 mins for medium.
5. transfer the chops to plates and tent with foil to keep warm.
6.place skillet over heat and add wine, and the reserved mushroom soaking liquid & bring to boil until liquid reduced to 1/2 cup about five minutes
7. season the sauce with black pepper and salt to taste and then pour over chops

For Stuffing ...

1. place mushrooms in small bowl and add hot water and let soak 25 to 30 mins. remove the mushrms from soaking liquid and rinse thoroughly.
2. slice mushrooms finely and discard hard parts
3. strain the soaking liquid in a sieve with cheese cloth and reserve liquid
4. melt butter in heavy large skillet, and add onions and sauté 2 mins. Then add the mushrms and 1 1/2 tblsps of the reserved liquid and cover and cook 2 mins
5. remove from heat
6. mix in the proscuitto di parma.
7. let cool and stuff the chops

*** add a sprinkle of dried: basil, oregano, thyme and rosemary

*** people can use Porcini or fresh Ceps

SERVE WITH: red wine and crusty oven warm bread.

Written by:
Margi Cintrano

Good Afternoon Fiona,

These are good ... I had substituted the Proscuitto di Parma for an air dried Iberian acorn fed ham, and employed white capped huge mushrooms in season in Spain instead of the dried Porcini. I also sprinkled a pinch or a bit of seasoned bread crumbs ( parsley, basil, oregano and a bit of rosemary and thyme ... The Vet truly enjoyed ...

Thanks again.
Margi.

Last edited:
I have the dried porcini, also some dried morels. I think the morels would detract from the prosciutto, though. I love stuffed pork chops and to often it is a bread stuffing that is used. The idea of a mushroom stuffing with no bread is very enticing.

Oh, shiitake with nori would be good too, change up the recipe with an Asian flair.

Wonderful recipe. Will be making this during the week.Thank you margi.
kades

@ Tax Lady,

Hello there. I had read that you are in Tax Season, and are taking a little break or MIA. Glad to see you here. Thanks dear. These are good. Great stuffing idea for a roll roast too.

Thanks.
Kindest.
Margi.

Back
Top Bottom