Pork For Tacos, Burritos etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
I got to thinking after the recent bolognese sauce thread and Andy's method of shredding the beef/pork, I was reminded of a recipe from a 1989 BA magazine. We have made changes to the original to end up with this.

Texican Shredded Pork

1/4 cup corn or vegetable oil
1 1arge onion; chopped
1-large jalapeno, minced with seeds
1 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 2" pieces
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp: dried thyme, crumbled
1/2 tsp. died oregano, crumbled
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
Pinch of ground allspice
3 large garlic cloves minced
2 tbsp. tomato paste
2 14 1/2 oz. cans stewed tomatoes
2 cups beef stock, low sodium
2 cups chicken stock, low sodium
2 bay leaves crumbled
1/4 cup, chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in heavy pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeno and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add pork and stir until brown on all sides, about 7 minutes. Mix in chili powder and next 6 ingredients and cook 2 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste and cook 3 minutes. Stir in all remaining ingredients except cilantro. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour. Uncover and simmer until pork is tender and shreds easily, about 1 hour. Remove pork from liquid. Set aside. Increase heat to medium and boil cooking liquid until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 35 minutes. Shred pork and mix into liquid. Sprinkle with cilantro.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your recipe, Craig. Sounds good.

RD, I LOVE pulled pork tacos - I'm reminded to look and see if I have another vacuum sealed bag of it in the freezer. :)

Last edited:
This is awesome. Thank you!

Can I copy and keep this to a private folder, not to be seen or shared?

This is awesome. Thank you!

Can I copy and keep this to a private folder, not to be seen or shared?

That is why folks post recipes, to share!;)

This sounds really good, but it seems like a lot of liquid for one pound of pork. Is that correct?

It always comes out moist, but not runny. You can judge the reduction time of the liquid and adjust to your liking.

Back
Top Bottom