Pork hocks versus ham hocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julene

Assistant Cook
I've bought ham hocks for years but after we moved to Arizona, I can't find them. The butchers tell me that pork hocks are the same thing so I bought them to make split pea soup and we didn't like it at all. I can't believe it's my imagination What do you do for split pea soup with the real ham flavor?

I don't see ham hocks around here. We see smoked pork hocks. I've used those for the smoke and flavor in pea, navy bean and black bean soups.

I would just assume that the pork hocks you bought were not smoked. If they were and you still had a problem with not enough flavor (and I have some places), sometimes it helps to stew the hocks for a day in water/onions/garlic/salt, then cook the peas in the subsequent broth. But try looking around to see if you can find a local company that brags on their smoked products.

Another option is buying a whole ham and using the bone after serving the ham for Sunday dinner, or slice most of the meat and use for sandwiches and other meals, leaving plenty of meat on the bone. Again, if not enough flavor is a problem, make a stock with it before adding the peas. The peas just don't take enough time to cook sometimes, so get as much flavor from those bones into the water before adding them as you possibly can.

Another hint is to take a sharp paring knife and score the fat on the hocks (through the fat, but even right down to the bone) before stewing them to release as much flavor as possible.

My local butcher sells superb hocks, and they are huge. So he always asks if I want them sawed in half. YES. The more bone exposed to the water, the more flavor (and any marrow will be released as well.

For those .... and I know there are a few ... living near my neck of the woods, a drive to Weber's in Cuba City, WI. Best ham hocks I've every bought, and I've bought them a lot of places.

Pea-soup and Johnny-cake, makes a French-man's belly-ache!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the hints. I do use the ham bone from a roast and like that but didn't think to cut the bone in a few places to release more flavor--I'll do that next time. And the pork hocks I was talking about were indeed smoked but the flavor just wasn't there at all so now I know what to try.

I would just assume that the pork hocks you bought were not smoked. If they were and you still had a problem with not enough flavor (and I have some places), sometimes it helps to stew the hocks for a day in water/onions/garlic/salt, then cook the peas in the subsequent broth. But try looking around to see if you can find a local company that brags on their smoked products.

Another option is buying a whole ham and using the bone after serving the ham for Sunday dinner, or slice most of the meat and use for sandwiches and other meals, leaving plenty of meat on the bone. Again, if not enough flavor is a problem, make a stock with it before adding the peas. The peas just don't take enough time to cook sometimes, so get as much flavor from those bones into the water before adding them as you possibly can.

Another hint is to take a sharp paring knife and score the fat on the hocks (through the fat, but even right down to the bone) before stewing them to release as much flavor as possible.

My local butcher sells superb hocks, and they are huge. So he always asks if I want them sawed in half. YES. The more bone exposed to the water, the more flavor (and any marrow will be released as well.

For those .... and I know there are a few ... living near my neck of the woods, a drive to Weber's in Cuba City, WI. Best ham hocks I've every bought, and I've bought them a lot of places.

Pea-soup and Johnny-cake, makes a French-man's belly-ache!

I really like your idea of making stock from the bones first.

I've had ham bones hanging around the freezer, waiting for me to make beans again.

I could have made the stock and had it available if I wanted to make some rice.

Great idea. Thanks!:chef:

I make split pea soup about once a month, and have for years... it's my favorite soup! :chef:

Ham/pork hocks, for pea soup, aren't worth messing with, in my opinion.

I use the end piece of a smoked ham and add 3/4 - 1 cup of it diced directly to the soup. It has great flavor and is no hassle compared to using a ham/pork hock. I don't have to pull anything out of my soup, getting all messy while trying to scrape bits of meat off of the bone, nor dripping across to the floor to the trash.

Because it's a heavily smoked portion of the ham, it adds extra flavor and overrides any supposed benefit from using a bony hock.

I get the end piece, pre-sliced, in at the supermarket near the ham steaks is generally only about two pounds, and not very expensive.

I prefer to get directly to the point rather than use obsolete pieces of pig :pig: :LOL:

you can order pork ends and ham bits and hocks from Harrington's (on line). excellent flavor!

We use both, but ours are almost always smoked, which gives them really good flavor. However, I have to add that we live in an area where, in Emeril's words, "Pork fat rules." We have some of the best barbecue and smoked pork products around. When I make black bean soup, split pea soup or white beans and ham hocks, Glenn nearly melts.

There's nothing more satisfying on a cold rainy day than a huge bowl of smoked ham hocks and white beans and a big chunk of hot, butter-slathered cornbread. Oh, now, I've made myself hungry!:ohmy:

"Another option is buying a whole ham and using the bone after serving the ham for Sunday dinner, or slice most of the meat and use for sandwiches and other meals, leaving plenty of meat on the bone. Again, if not enough flavor is a problem, make a stock with it before adding the peas. The peas just don't take enough time to cook sometimes, so get as much flavor from those bones into the water before adding them as you possibly can."

That's what I do. I take as much of the meat off the bones as possible, start with the bones, and add chunks of ham minutes before serving.

I've boughten smoked hocks for a soup before and was very disappointed. I did not know there was a quality issue or that I maybe should have scored them. Good info. I will buy them from another source next time.

I buy a couple of packages of smoked hocks at a time and put them in the pressure cooker, with diced onion and garlic. Once they are done, I cool them, peel off the meat and the fat has been completely liquified. Divide the meat up, diced, into a few (3) containers and top with the juices and fat from the cooker. Usually about 1 1/2 cups of liquid per container. I get three starters for bean soups or split pea soup.

After a run through the pressure cooker, there's no flavor left in them bones.

I was thinking the same thing. Technicaly it is the same part of the animal. But they are not the same.

If the package says "Smoked Pork Hocks," then they are the same thing.

I use ham hocks to make pea and bean soups, but my mom always used a ham bone.

Several of you have convinced me to forget the hocks and use the good old bone in the ham roasts. Makes sense to me so after all this talk, I'm off to get a ham and go for it. Again, thanks to all of you. Julene

Pork Hocks vs. Ham Hocks

I recenty used smoked pork hocks -- the only hocks I could find -- rather than the ham bone or ham hocks my black-bean soup recipe called for. Big mistake...the soup was way too salty and had an over-the-top smoky flavor. Won't do this again, and if don't have a ham bone and can't find ham hocks, will use a ham slice. Who knew? :pig:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom