Pork Loin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a pork tenderloin that was almost 4" thick on one end.
It turns out they came two to a package and I didn't realize that until I cut it to size and went to open it up for stuffing :wacko:
So, was it 4" thick once it was separated?

I've run into the "multiple tenderloins in a package" problem, especially hard to notice when they are frozen. Is that two fat tenderloins or five skinny ones?

I've run into the "multiple tenderloins in a package" problem, especially hard to notice when they are frozen. Is that two fat tenderloins or five skinny ones?

Yeah, I'm glad I was using it right away and noticed right away instead of tossing it in the freezer and having two thawed tenderloins to deal with.

They were maybe a little less than three inches each tapering down to the other end.

I will have to look next time I am in the store. All I have ever bought was pork loin. I thought tenderloin was just another name for it.

OT, but I have trouble finding beef brisket, too. Does that go by any other name? I only see corned beef brisket.

Tenderloins are wonderful, so moist and tender with or without marinades! Loin and chops on the other hand are a last resort for my family. Can't brine them as I am salt sensitive and would rather not stroke out. We prefer shoulder/butt roasts and steaks. They are so tender and flavorful no matter what one does with or to them. Good thing there are so many different cuts to a hog! Speaking of which, gotta call my butcher and see when his next sale on whole hogs will be. He makes the best sausage and we have the hams made into cutlets. We buy 1-2 hogs a year depending on size. Wish we could find a person to trade our loins and chops for steaks and shoulder/butts. Then we'd have the perfect pig!

I will have to look next time I am in the store. All I have ever bought was pork loin. I thought tenderloin was just another name for it.

OT, but I have trouble finding beef brisket, too. Does that go by any other name? I only see corned beef brisket.

I found gorgeous big briskets at a Sam's Club. Otherwise find yourself a decent real butcher to buy from. Isn't it funny that the cheap cuts have become more expensive than the good cuts! Same with beef short ribs and round steak. Cold out today, I would kill for some old fashioned Swiss steaks about now.

I found gorgeous big briskets at a Sam's Club. Otherwise find yourself a decent real butcher to buy from. Isn't it funny that the cheap cuts have become more expensive than the good cuts! Same with beef short ribs and round steak. Cold out today, I would kill for some old fashioned Swiss steaks about now.
It's worth asking the butcher at a supermarket. Sometimes they can special order or let you know when they get stuff. The other option is to corn some other cut of beef. Pork can be corned too. I wonder how well that would work with pork loin.

Tenderloins are wonderful, so moist and tender with or without marinades! Loin and chops on the other hand are a last resort for my family. Can't brine them as I am salt sensitive and would rather not stroke out. We prefer shoulder/butt roasts and steaks. They are so tender and flavorful no matter what one does with or to them. Good thing there are so many different cuts to a hog! Speaking of which, gotta call my butcher and see when his next sale on whole hogs will be. He makes the best sausage and we have the hams made into cutlets. We buy 1-2 hogs a year depending on size. Wish we could find a person to trade our loins and chops for steaks and shoulder/butts. Then we'd have the perfect pig!

That's so funny that my go-to pork cut, the loin chop, is always so tender and juicy. I only started salting them in the last year or so, which makes them even more juicy, because DH has a tendency to overcook them.

I just came back from the store and now I remember why I don't buy pork tenderloin - it's over $5 per pound, while the loin is about $3.50 and shoulder roast was $1.49 on sale. Got a 9-pound roast I will cut into three pieces and freeze. I find that they need to be braised or stewed to be tender, though. Pan-frying and grilling just make them tough.

Also got chicken legs and thighs for 99 cents a pound and meatloaf mix (beef, pork, veal) for about $3.50. I won't have to shop for meat for a couple weeks at least! :)

I agree, except I've never seen a pork tenderloin more than 3" thick, and not usually that thick at the thick end.

I was not my intention to include the diameter. I was just refering to length and weight. Should have been clearer.

I have never seen tenderloins offered individually. Only as two to a pack. I guess if I actually dealt with a butcher shop, I could get single tenderloins.

Last edited:
I was not my intention to include the diameter. I was just refering to length and weight. Sould have been clearer.

I have never seen tenderloins offered individually. Only as two to a pack. I guess if I actually dealt with a butcher shop, I could get single tenderloins.
That's what I figured. I think the diameter was why we didn't catch the fact that it was a tenderloin, not loin.

First Photo: Tenderloin. Always boneless. 12"-15" long and 2" in diameter. No fat layer, just silverskin.

Second Photo: Loin. The main muscle is 3" x 4"

Third Photo: Boneless Loin

Fourth Photo: Chop. The large muscle is a slice of the loin. The small muscle on the other side of the "T" bone is a slice of the tenderloin. It's a pork porterhouse.

Attachments

• Tenderloin.jpg
    Tenderloin.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 187
  • Bone in Loin.jpg
    Bone in Loin.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 188
  • pork loin.png
    pork loin.png
    276 KB · Views: 186
  • chop.png
    chop.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 192
The one I buy is picture #3. I slice some off for chops and leave a piece to make as a roast.

Picture #4? This is what I buy when I buy pork chops. My picky husband doesn't like the piece of tenderloin that's attached. He looks for the ones that don't have it. He just doesn't like the way it looks.

I'm LOL because I know you people think I'm married to a real nut job. LOL After 33 years, I'm just used to him.

The one I buy is picture #3. I slice some off for chops and leave a piece to make as a roast.

Picture #4? This is what I buy when I buy pork chops. My picky husband doesn't like the piece of tenderloin that's attached. He looks for the ones that don't have it. He just doesn't like the way it looks.

I'm LOL because I know you people think I'm married to a real nut job. LOL After 33 years, I'm just used to him.

Everybody is fussy about something. Why should you DH be any different.

I wish I could find a bone in chop with the tenderloin still attached around here. I guess tenderloins became to valuable for them to leave it on anymore, even with the added cost.

I wish I could find a bone in chop with the tenderloin still attached around here. I guess tenderloins became to valuable for them to leave it on anymore, even with the added cost.

Isn't that what's called a center loin chop?

What I call a T bone pork chop?

I luv'em! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

If you can't find them in the store buy a whole bone in pork loin and have the butcher cut them for you.

Isn't that what's called a center loin chop?

What I call a T bone pork chop?

I luv'em! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

If you can't find them in the store buy a whole bone in pork loin and have the butcher cut them for you.

You say that like a whole bone-in loin is common here :huh:
That's probably a big part of the reason I can't find the chops! :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Seriously, I've never seen a bone-in loin. Not even in the meat counter.

I may be able to order one in though. Next time I order a pork belly I'll see if he can get a bone-in loin, too. :)

You say that like a whole bone-in loin is common here :huh:
That's probably a big part of the reason I can't find the chops! :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Seriously, I've never seen a bone-in loin. Not even in the meat counter.

I may be able to order one in though. Next time I order a pork belly I'll see if he can get a bone-in loin, too. :)

Sound like it's time to remodel the chicken coop and start raising a few pigs, then a small smoke house, nuthin fancy! I think I hear the theme from the Walton's playing in the background!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I buy my T bone chops at a small market that still has men in white coats working in the meat department. I will be amazed if the pork belly store does not have some chops for you. Good luck!

...I've never seen a bone-in loin. Not even in the meat counter.

I'm surprised! Even my cheapo supermarket carries loin roast with bone still attached and sells bone-in pork chops, with and without the tenderloin attached.

A bone-in pork roast with the rib bones frenched and served with apple cider gravy is a thing of beauty.

Of course, boneless pork is more common.

You guys are killing me here :LOL:

Go back three years and I'll bet you'll find a post about me saying I can't find "regular" pork chops anymore, the kind I grew up with. And you have them crawling into your cart... Frenched even! :chef:

Now we do have the family package of "assorted chops", which includes a couple that look like something I'd serve to company, but chops around here are loinless :( Unless they are hiding them from me. I'll bet that's it.

Back
Top Bottom