Pork Loin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just catching this thread and it's on page 4. I'm going to reply to phantom posts since I don't remember most of what was said by who. (Or is it "whom"?)

1) A good recipe for pork tenderloin can be found here: Snowboarders' Pork Tenderloin. Even better if you serve it to company, then tell them the recipe came from a murder mystery book...BwaHaHa! Don't remember which book exactly, but the author is Diane Mott Davidson and her "Goldy the Caterer" series has outstanding recipes.

2) Who had the tenderloin that was already cut into medallions? Michael Symon demonstrated Pork Parmesan Medallions on The Chew a week or two ago. I saved the link because they looked like something I could do for a quick dinner.

3) One of my favorite ways of cooking a tenderloin is on the grill. Marinate for about 1/2 to an hour in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, s&p and thyme. Fork-tender.

4) Every couple months someone by me will put tenderloins on sale for $2.99 or less. Haven't seen then for $1.99 for a couple years - too bad. I like to keep a couple packages in the freezer in case I need something quick. Slip that frozen puppy into a warm water bath to defrost and *bam* you can cook it up in no time. I currently have 3 on-hand.

... My picky husband doesn't like the piece of tenderloin that's attached. He looks for the ones that don't have it. He just doesn't like the way it looks.

I'm LOL because I know you people think I'm married to a real nut job. LOL After 33 years, I'm just used to him.
Time to make the man eat dinner blindfolded! :LOL: I used to look for light-colored meat, the whitest of porks...then I learned that the darker the meat the more flavor there is. The tenderloin part on a T-bone, whether pork or beef, is the more tender, the more flavorful, the more scrumptious part. If he insists on leaving the blindfold off you could always offer to let him have the other side of your bone and you'll take that yucky-looking dark side off his hands. ;)

And he's not a nut job. He's just found a wife willing to put up with all his little quirks. Or BIG quirks. :LOL:

You guys are killing me here :LOL:

Go back three years and I'll bet you'll find a post about me saying I can't find "regular" pork chops anymore, the kind I grew up with. And you have them crawling into your cart... Frenched even! :chef:

Now we do have the family package of "assorted chops", which includes a couple that look like something I'd serve to company, but chops around here are loinless :( Unless they are hiding them from me. I'll bet that's it.

I will never buy those "assorted" chops again. They're just leftover pieces, all cut to different sizes from different primal cuts and the individual chops are rarely evenly cut. Just a waste of money to me.

By loinless you meant boneless, right? ;)

I will never buy those "assorted" chops again. They're just leftover pieces, all cut to different sizes from different primal cuts and the individual chops are rarely evenly cut. Just a waste of money to me.

By loinless you meant boneless, right? ;)

A chop, by definition, is cut from the ribs (loin) of the hog. They're all from the rib area. Assorted chops are those cut from the ends of the loin (primal cut) where the eye of the chop consists of a couple of different muscles rather than one muscle nearer the center of the loin. They aren't pretty but pan seared then smothered with onion gravy and served with mashed potatoes they are a treat.

A chop, by definition, is cut from the ribs (loin) of the hog. They're all from the rib area. Assorted chops are those cut from the ends of the loin (primal cut) where the eye of the chop consists of a couple of different muscles rather than one muscle nearer the center of the loin. They aren't pretty but pan seared then smothered with onion gravy and served with mashed potatoes they are a treat.

I've bought, and cut, pork shoulder chops as well, although they're sometimes called steaks.

The assorted chops we get here are not necessarily end cuts; they're often just unevenly cut pieces, where a single chop might be 1/2 inch thick at one end and 1.5 inches thick at the other. I just don't like them. YMMV.

Garlic, by loinless I was referring to missing the tenderloin section.

The assorted chops here are at least cut evenly, albeit about three different looking cuts of pork. That works out cooking for one or two, but if you were actually cooking them for a family you'd have to do a little thinking because you would be cooking what amounts to different cuts, some resembling pork steaks. For the much lower price they are they work out well for me.
It's really a horse apiece as to which I prefer; buying assorted chops on the cheap or buying the more expensive bone-in pork chops for at least twice the price and missing the tenderloin section. That's why I usually just stick with buying a whole loin (boneless) for the bulk of my pork chops. I just end up cooking them different, as in schnitzel or picatta or things I would not do if they were bone-in.

Time to make the man eat dinner blindfolded! :LOL: I used to look for light-colored meat, the whitest of porks...then I learned that the darker the meat the more flavor there is. The tenderloin part on a T-bone, whether pork or beef, is the more tender, the more flavorful, the more scrumptious part. If he insists on leaving the blindfold off you could always offer to let him have the other side of your bone and you'll take that yucky-looking dark side off his hands. ;)

And he's not a nut job. He's just found a wife willing to put up with all his little quirks. Or BIG quirks. :LOL:

It's funny, but we are friends with a couple that the wife was best friends with my husband's first wife. One time when I was remarking on what a picky eater he is she said "I've heard this all before." LOL So this has been an ongoing thing with him. I buy different pork for me than what I buy for him. I love the darker meat, and when I do buy chops that have that, they are mine. The white ones are his.

As someone else said, he puts up with my quirks, and I put up with his. I still laugh at them, though.

I'll stick with them shoulder/butt steaks. The marbling makes them so tender. However, due to cheapness, I have a few loin roasts in the freezer. I think I'll rub one with olive oil, fresh rosemary and garlic. May plop in a few dry bay leaves. The oil seems to keep it moist enough so we can tolerate it. I usually roast it to medium, as we like to keep them from drying out. Sometimes, I lard them, just to help with the lack of marbling and dryness. I wish I had a butt or shoulder roast, as those are sooo moist and tender. However, whole boneless loins were $1.79 lb and butt roasts were over $3.59 lb. I deal with whatever is cheapest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom