Pork loin braised in milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking fool

Senior Cook
has anyone tried this? i used marcella hazan's recipe from one of her books. it turned out to be a bit overcooked but other than that it was excellent. As it cooks the milk goes a bit solid & picks up the juices/drippings to make a sauce automatically. what are some good twists to this recipe?

I have never tried anything like this - it sounds interesting. You could add some fresh herbs to your milk - like fresh rosemary (tarragon would be good too as would thyme) and maybe even some smashed cloves of garlic.

I guess the closest I have ever come to something like this is marinating in buttermilk for a few days. You can still use the fresh herbs in that too.

yeah it was pretty simple. it was good to see what the "base recipe" would be like though, to see what it might need (if anything). the book says to brown the loin first then salt & pepper, then put in the milk. heat it up until the milk boils then turn it down to medium & let it cook slowly for ~1.5-2hrs with the lid slightly cracked off. turn the meat & baste from time to time. when it's done spoon off all the nasty fat but leave the milk chunks, pour in a bit of water to deglaze the pot & spoon the sauce over the pork when it's done. apparently the recipe comes from the frozen northern tundra of italy, so to be 'authentic' i wouldn't expect a lot of extras in the recipe. putting some herbs in the milk would be worth a try though i think.

Back
Top Bottom