Pork Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sprinkle the outside with coarse salt and pepper or your favourite seasoning...toss in the oven (about 350) for about 15 - 20 minutes per pound. Check with a meat thermometer at about the halfway point. Make sure on any subsequent tests you use the same spot to avoid puncturing your meat too much. Good luck.

There are several cuts of pork that roast well. Some you will find tied - boneless, then there is a pork loin roast which is chimney shaped as Sushi said or the tenderloin, also a round shape but about as big in diameter as a can of beans. The tenderloin can be grilled very quickly and is extremely tender. The others respond better to a slower cooking and are just wonderful when poked and stuffed with slivered garlic and bay leaves - roasted in the oven - covered for most of the cooking time but browned at the end. Pour a bit of wine over the top with obvious seasonings - garlic powder, salt, pepper....then you can make a sumptious pan gravy with the drippimgs. Add a few mashed potatoes and you are in heaven!

For a pork loin roast I like to cut it open flat. In other words unroll it like paper towels. Then I add pancetta and pesto (or one of 20 other stuffing combinations) and roll it back up and tie it. Cook until the internal temp hits 155 and let rest for 15 minutes.

Oohh Bubba....
28.gif

I tried to post a recipe on here:

Roasted Pork Loin with Chorizo-Apple Stuffing and Red Wine Pan Jus

But I guess I didn't post it in time and I got timed out, because when I tried to post it, it said that I wasn't logged in. Maybe I'll try again when I'm not pissed off. :evil: :x

roast pork

I have found that there are many ways to do both pork and brisket.

I am a bit strange in I enjoy using wine as the base for a marinade. The last one I did I used emerils essence and white wine and apple juice. Left in air tight bag over night, then smoked with charcoal, apple chunks, and mestinte (SP?). I normally cook for about 6-8 hours......I use a water smoker......checking regularly.
Living in the Kansas city area I have never had any complaints sooo guess I am doing soemthing right.

peace out

Just make sure you use a meat thermometer and you will be fine. Don't over cook it. Ok....I like to do this using a pork butt.

Season Roast
Place on rack n 450 degree oven for 15 minutes
Turn heat down to 250
Cook till meat thermometer registers 150 F
Eat

This is the way I do it to achieve a wonderful taste and beautiful crackle.

Take a fine skewer or a large sewing needle and pierce the skin all over so that you virtually make heaps of little holes. This is in place of the traditional scoring of the skin. Rub all over , skin and meat with Olive or sesame oil or a mix of both. Sprinkle with 5 spice powder and cooking salt and then rub in well. Leave for 30 minutes then place on rack and roast at 230°/ 445°F for 15-20 minutes. You will notice the skin starting to rise in tiny little bubbles. Reduce heat to180°C/355°F and continue cooking until done. Do not turn meat over.
The reult resembles the roast pork one sees hanging in the Asian BBQ shops.

NB If using the needle for piercing try putting a piece of cork or soft wood over the blunt end , makes it easier on the hands.

Here are 2 ideas for a Pork Roast (Loin)

This recipe comes from Jaques Pepin..I have made many times
1 1/4t salt
1/2t pepper
2t herbs de provance
1 4lb pork loin
2T butter
1T vege oil
5 golden delicious apples or apples of choice cut in 1" wedges
1/4t sugar.
Preheat oven to 375
Sprinkle pork w/all seasonings rub in so they adhere.
In a small oven proof casserole..heat up butter and oil..when hot add pork and brown on all sides.
Remove pan from heat remove roast to plate...add apples and sugar..toss around..place pork bk on apples..place in oven and roast until instant read thermometer registers 150. Remove pork from oven and let rest approx 10 min.
Slice and serve w/ apples and pan juices.

Pork Loin w/Saurkraut

Rub pork w/dry rub of blk pepper, granulated garlic, curry and cayanne...or seasonings of your choice.
Brown in oven proof casserole dish
Oven 350 - 375
Place over saurkraut that has been drained....can add some white horseradish for some added zest....can also add some beer.
Bake unti instant read thermometer registers 150
Let rest...serve w/ kraut and pan juices.
I copied this recipe from someone else on FN and I just improvise amounts etc...I hope you can follow it anyway by getting the gist of the seasonings and cooking method.
Once you get the concept of how to roast a Pork Loin...you can use seasonings of your choice and create great pan gravys once the roast is done..by adding flavorings to the pan while roast is resting....port, mediera, broth..just some ideas that I have used.

Enjoy!!

One of the techniques listed by BubbaGourmet is called a roullaide (French) or Roulladen (Geman). It involves cuttin the meat into a flat by starting at the outside and slicing about a half inch thick slice constantly inward unti the center is reached. It can either be retied into a its original shape with stuffing in the center, or have the stuffing, forcemat, or dressing spread over its entire surface and jellyrolled, then tied.

Stuffings can be fruit such as apples, cherries, peach slices, pineapple, etc., or flavored rice mixed with nuts, water-chestnuts, livers, or whatever you like rice with, to a sage based bread dressing, similar to that used with turkey.

After rolling and tying, sprinkle appropriate seasonings all over the outside. The seasoning will be determined by the filling. Place on a large, lightly greased cookie sheet, lightly coat with cooking oil, and insert a good meat thermometer until the tip reaches the roast center. Place in a 379 degree oven and cook until the tehrmometer reads 150 degrees F.

Remove from the oven and carve sideways into 1 inch thick slices. Serve with or without gravy, or suitable sauce.

And remember, this is but one way to cook a pork roast. If you are interested in learning a host of methods concerning pork, please contact me at my email address - bflowers@nmo.net

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

This is a favorite in my family.

Make slits all over the roast, close together and insert garlic cloves. Put in a covered roasting pan. Cover bottom of roaster with chicken stock [one or two cans]. Put package of onion soup mix on roast. Cover, and bake at 350 until roast is tender, adding water when necessary to keep the bottom of pan covered and turning roast. Remove lid and brown roast.

Remove roast, and make gravy with the rich drippings.

Yes, the roast is steamed, but it is very good.

Back
Top Bottom