Pork Roast Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I have a pork roast that weighs a little under 2 lbs. I'd like to cook it in my LeCreuset--I'll sear it, cook down some onions, mushrooms and garlic, add a can of chopped tomatoes in their juices and then put the roast back in the pot, cover it, and pop it in the oven.

My questions are:
1. Is that enough liquid or do I need more?
2. How long should I cook it and at what temp?

Thanks!:chef:

What kind of roast is it? If it's a loin or tenderloin roast, it's very lean and best cooked in the oven. Braising, as you are suggesting, is better for cheaper cuts, such as shoulders/Boston butts, that contain a lot of fat and connective tissue.

I'm pretty sure it's a loin (there's very little fat on it)--you know me and my lack of knowledge on cuts of meat :rolleyes: . So should I just place it in the LeCreuset with the veggies w/o braising it first?

I would roast this dry as you would a roast beef. Sear it and put it into the oven in an open roasting pan and cook it to about 145-150 F internal temp. Then serve it with the cooked vegetables.

If you cook it covered in the veggie liquid, you run the risk of overcooking it and making it very dry.

I cook loin roast at 400 F. I generally cook lean meats at higher temps. I think it minimizes moisture loss. Sucha a small roast won't take very long to cook.

I totally agree. I think braising it would dry it out and make it tough.

Make sure you don't overcook it -- take into account holdover cooking time.

At less than two pounds, it shouldn't take more than a half hour. Depends on how thick it is and how long you sear it. Don't you have a thermometer?

You can still braise it and it will come out very tender, but be careful that you don't braise it too long, then the meat will go past tender and become mushy. That being said, I do agree that it's better to dry roast a pork loin or tenderloin. When roasting it, you can also dry roast the mire poix in the pan, then deglaze and use them as the base for a sauce.

Yep, I have a thermometer. I just wanted to get an idea of time so I could plan rest of what I'm making.

Thanks, ironchef--I plan on deglazing for the sauce!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom