Pork Saltimbocca

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

primus diddy

Assistant Cook
Hm...I'd like to try to make it. Where I work(ed)...it's very very good. It's (as far as I know...being a lowly dishwasher) pounded out pork cutlet, pretty flat...1/4" or so on top of mashed potato, over this is drizzled some type of a thin boullion-gravy thing with a mushrooms of some type in it (I think there's red wine in it or something). I know I can't make this because the chef's recipes are almost always way too complicated for me with ingredients I don't have access to (I don't have a farm behind a restaurant) I do have a grocery store...two grocery stores and a possible outlet for some of the more "high end" components.

Anyone have a good recipe for this? Doesn't have to be like the one I described, but that's the only one I have exposure to.

EDIT: I can't believe I spelled potato wrong!
EDIT: Maybe it's white wine? I don't know. Either way...I can't get wine. I'm only 18 and nobody in my house drinks.

Last edited:
sorry, but i've got to rush off just now. i'll check back later, and if no one has gotten you a good recipe, i'll get to it. btw, the recipe above doesn't sound too much like the "real thing" though.

primus diddy, you can try this recipe from Delia Smith. It has Marsala in it. Marsala is an Italian wine and if you do not have it, you can replace it with port or sherry. Good luck!

hi there- back again.

the delia recipe boufa06 gave the link to will get you in the ballpark, especially for a beginner. here's some other stuff you may or may not want to pay attention to. by the way, there are so many "variations" that i don't think that there is any 1 "authentic" recipe, so when i say "traditional", take it with a grain of salt.

ingredients:

veal tenderloin is the classic cut used, but i have to say that the best i ever had was from a butterflied cut, a fine scallop from the loin. more on this later if i remember.

prociutto, sliced paper thin
clarified butter or olive oil
fresh sage leaves
marsala
flour
butter
(salt) & pepper
finely minced parsely (if you want)

- about the meat. the traditional meat to use for this dish is veal, which is not to say that you can't substitute pork. try learning on pork, but try it with veal when you feel like you kind of know what you're doing. if you do use pork, and you decide to go with a thicker cut, make sure the inside isn't still raw. juicy is good, raw isn't.
- cut & flatten the meat as per delias recipe but...what i suggest is to sandwich the prociutto and sage leaves between two layers of meat. i think that the delicate sage flavor is kind of ruined being cooked directly as in the delia version. also, don't be too stingy with the sage. hold the "sandwich" together with 2 or 3 toothpicks or so along the perimeter. another variation that i prefer is to cut a pocket into i nice thick veal cutlet, stuff it with the prociutto and sage, and close it with a single toothpick (this version is nice and juicy).
- most recipes say to salt & pepper the veal, but i find the prociutto salty enough ( especially if you're doing the traditional thin cuts), so i only season with a little pepper. then dredge (dust) with flour. knock off any excess flour before sauteing.
- saute both sides. forget about warming the marsala in another pan. when the meat is done, remove it to a plate. if you've gone a bit overboard with the butter or olive oil, pour most of it off. otherwise, add the marsala and swirl it around the pan. it's called deglazing. here is were you can maybe flambe it and make your parents panic. otherwise, let it reduce to about half. turn off the heat, throw in a couple of knobs of butter (a tablespoon or two)(some parsely can go in at the same time) and swirl around the pan till the butter is mostly melted. then add the meat back into the pan, so that it gets a good coating of the sauce. what you want to avoid is actually cooking the meat over the heat in the wine, as per the delia recipe. that will toughen up the meat.
- plate it up the meat (don't forget to take out the toothpicks), pouring some of the remaining sauce either on, under or around the meat. if you didn't add any parsely to the sauce, you can sprinkle some over it now. or just forget it.
- personally, i'd forget the mashed potatoes. maybe some polenta would be nice. or a simple pasta finshed with some red pepper, salt & olive oil.

best of luck

and by the way, i bet if you approached your chef and told him why you wanted it, he just might slip you a little on the side.
icon12.gif

Last edited:
GIada de Laurentis stuffs her cutlets with spinach and feta and the prociuto. Very nice. No wine? use a little chicken broth to deglaze the pan, and finish the cooking. Saute the rolls in a mixute of real butter and olive oil.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that it's coated in egg then in flour, THEN cooked.

They don't use sage on theirs at the restaurant, but I'm sure there's some in the "sauce". If I remember, I'll ask her how it's done. I can see her now, getting all excited "You want to be a cook" "No, I just want to cook food then eat it."...not sure what her response would be.

This doesn't look too hard. The hardest parts (in my opinion) will be: finding fresh sage this time of year in Maine, and...that's about it, actually. Getting it all to "stick together" will be tough.

Just use a sprinkling of rubbed sage if you can't find fresh - the flavor will be there. What your chef makes sounds like a re-creation - somewhere in between Cordon Bleu and saltimbocca. It's reallyl not that hard. You can substitute with chicken stock but the flavor will change drastically - Marsala, sherry, or port, in that order, would be your best choices. Just remember to buy regular marsala, sherry, or port - DO NOT BUY COOKING sherry or COOKING anything. We've got lots of recipes to use up the rest of that marsala :chef:

primus diddy said:
...This doesn't look too hard. The hardest parts (in my opinion) will be: finding fresh sage this time of year in Maine, and...that's about it, actually. Getting it all to "stick together" will be tough.

It's not hard. Many supermarkets, even in Maine, carry little plastic tubs of various herbs. I'd bet you can find sage year round and especially this time of year.

Getting it to stick together is also fairly easy. Flour, then egg then flour. Let it rest for 15 minutes and cook.

Back
Top Bottom