Pork steaks and port

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sausagefans.com

Assistant Cook
Just a little tip which I've found useful using up port from the cupboard and creating some delicious pork steaks!

Fry the pork steak so it is brown on the presentation side and then when you flip it pour in a generous shot of pork, watch the heat or you might loose some eyebrows but what a flavour...yummy.

I happened to be serving a cheese sauce with some vegetables with this and when the port flavours mixed in on the plate the result was a very mature cheese flavour...definitely something to play with even if only as an excuse to buy more port!

Where are you Cow Girl?

Its something we drink in the UK, wine like in colour, stronger, its a fortified wine, good for the soul!

Port is a type of wine. It has a high alcohol content.... twice that of other wines. I personally dont enjoy it. Port is also where large ships dock.
10.gif

That would be why I didn't know what it was....I just DON"T drink wine......hmmmm.....thanks for letting me in on it...

Tanis....

Oh ya....I belong in Canada.....

Port is usually a wine served as a dessert wine, or as an after dinner drink. Port originated in....surprise: Portugal!

There are basically two kinds of port: Ruby Port and Tawny Port. Ruby port is a dark, dark purple and has a flavor of black cherry, chocolate, and black currant. Tawny port is like a dark maple color, and has hints of hazlenut, maple syrup, and candied orange. Ruby port is more preferrable to cook with than Tawny port, because the flavor is more versatile, being used with desserts, lamb, venison, pork, fish with a high fat content, duck, foie gras, and other game bird. Ports have an alcohol content of usually 20-22% as opposed to the 12-15% normally found in red wines.

Some popular brands of port include:

Taylor Floodgate
Hardee's
Fonseca
Quinta Noval

Back
Top Bottom