Pork stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilletlicker

Head Chef
Does anybody make pork stock? What do you use it for?

I've been making it lately from smoked ham hock and fresh pig foot. Have used it in beans, grits, and split pea soup. It adds an incredible amount of flavor but little, if any, fat.

skilletlicker said:

I've been making it lately from smoked ham hock and fresh pig foot. Have used it in beans, grits, and split pea soup. It adds an incredible amount of flavor but little, if any, fat.

I normally don't, but if I did, I'd use it to make gravy for a pork roast that doesn't yield enough juice during roasting.

I make it and use for soups and gravy. If I don't have any ham-hocks or even bacon on hand (does not happen very often, I tell ya!), the ham base by Better than Boullion is good to have on hand.

Yes!! And it's great in a French Market soup - a bean soup with 13-15 different beans and lots of other goodies!

BEAN SOUP STOCK
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon marjoram
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons celery seed
1 meaty ham hock -- about 2 1/2-3 pounds
3 quarts water
1 tablespoon salt

I've used ham hocks in soups and bean pots for years but the pig foot seems to add a lot. After simmering 5 or hours or so, virtually all of it melts into very porky tasting collagen and the hock adds meaty smokiness. I've also found I like making the stock first. I'm used to doing that with chicken and beef but pork is new to me.

skilletlicker said:

When I bake my spare ribs prior to the rest of what I do, I collect the "broth" and use it for soup, etc. I don't make it directly.

I have been making "stock" from smoked hocks for beans (pinto, red, split peas and black eyes) and for cooking greens for the flavor (just throw a hock into a pot of cold water, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 2-3 hours) ... but never thought about putting a foot in it. But, it totally makes sense ... tremendous amount of collagen there ... which gives that yummy "mouth feel" that only a good stock can do.

Now all I have to do is find some ...

Here piggy, piggy, piggy .... :pig:

Michael in FtW said:
I have been making "stock" from smoked hocks for beans (pinto, red, split peas and black eyes) and for cooking greens for the flavor (just throw a hock into a pot of cold water, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 2-3 hours) ... but never thought about putting a foot in it. But, it totally makes sense ... tremendous amount of collagen there ... which gives that yummy "mouth feel" that only a good stock can do.

Now all I have to do is find some ...

Here piggy, piggy, piggy .... :pig:
Michael, I hope you do find a local source. Of course this is no help to you, but on behalf of any Memphians reading this, I get mine from Superlo Foods.

Gosh, to me you have asked two questions.

The first is what to do with ham (smoked piggy) stock.

We make it all the time from ham bones, hocks, anything smoked, or cured, from Mr. Pig.

It is a great base for soups. Rarely get beyond making pea soup because we love it so much, but will go to lentil soup, or any bean soup. Or maybe a caldo gallego. There are so many uses.

Or can cook greens in it. Course you can always just toss toss some smoked pig trotters into the dish if you don't have the stock.

Then there is number two, fresh pork stock. Made from bones and pork bits that have not been cured.

A fine stock. Particularly good for making rice. (Can make a great rice dish with the stock from cured ham as well.)

Fresh pork stock will work in any dish one would use chicken stock.

Hate to toss out anything that hasn't been used up and so we make stocks.

Just the way we do things.

Take care.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I think pork stock, made in advance, will be a permanent weapon in my cooking arsenal. I prefer it to chicken stock for a growing number of uses, but I can't find serious discussions of the topic. I am sure there is wider use of it in professional kitchens, but surprisingly, don't see discussion of it. I would very much welcome anyone pointing out what I have overlooked.

One more thing really great about using Minors soup bases and that is that you don't need to have anything frozen or brewed ahead of time. Just heat some water and mix the pork base - or any other flavor and BANG - your stock is ready to use however you want - 5 minutes - and its always the same- consistent.

I'm a big fan of Minors (have 5 types in the fridge right now) but I still like to make a traditional stock & add some Minors after straining to really give the stock a deep flavor. I use their low sodium varieties in lots of dishes other than soups.

Last edited:
I have been known to say, "Are you throwing that away?" when at someone's house after a ham dinner! "Are you crazy? Wrap it and give it to me!" Then, of course, I give them a pint or quart of the bean or pea soup I make from it. No one has complained or said I was tacky.

Claire said:
I have been known to say, "Are you throwing that away?" when at someone's house after a ham dinner! "Are you crazy? Wrap it and give it to me!" Then, of course, I give them a pint or quart of the bean or pea soup I make from it. No one has complained or said I was tacky.

Ha! I do that too. At least with my sister. She's good for a couple of hams a year. I even got a ham bone from Costco onece when they were doing a demo of the Carando/Kirkland spiral cut. The demo guy didn't want to give it to me but the manager said OK.

smoked chicken

Years ago my Mom had a smoked chicken that she got at a local farmers market. The taste was wonderful (more delicate than ham but still with that yummy smoked flavor) and I was lucky enough to get the carcass. It made a fantastic stock. It seems that smoked *anything* is a wonderful addition to liquid for beans.

Actually make two different pork stocks.

One is the ham bone, smoked cured pork stock and the other is a fresh ham stock made from the bones of a fresh ham, or a pork loin, or shoulder.

Both are quite different and distinct. And both are great for sauces or soups.

Dot, yes! I was confused when this line came up. I do also make stock from fresh pork bones.

For our vegetarian friends, grill some veggies (onions, squash, tomatoes, leeks, etc) over charcoal. Eat some as is -- great over pasta or rice. But take the rest, chop, and add water. You'd be surprised that there is no meat in it. Mom calls this "Claire's ratatoille" and asks for it any time I visit. The point is, though, that you can get that smoked flavor in a number of ways.

Back
Top Bottom