Pozole Rojo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
Pozole Rojo

INGREDIENTS
1 bunch mint (1 oz)
1 bunch cilantro (1 oz)
4 lbs. country-style pork ribs (not lean)
10 cups water
26 garlic cloves (about 1 1/2 heads), peeled, divided
1 (1/2-lb) white onion, quartered, plus 1/2 cup, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
5 whole black peppercorns
2 ounces dried guajillo or New Mexico chiles (6 to 9), wiped clean
1 1/2 ounces dried ancho chiles (2 to 4), wiped clean
1 whole clove
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 (15-oz) cans hominy, rinsed and drained

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Tie together mint and cilantro with kitchen string.

2. Bring pork and water to a boil in a large pot, skimming froth, then reduce heat to a simmer. Add tied herbs, 20 garlic cloves, quartered onion, oregano, peppercorns, and 2 teaspoons salt and gently simmer, uncovered, until pork is very tender, about 2 hours. Strain broth through a large sieve into a large heatproof bowl. Return broth to pot. Discard mint and cilantro. Transfer cooked onion and garlic to a blender with 1 1/2 cups broth and purée until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Add purée to broth. Discard bones and coarsely shred pork into broth.

3. Meanwhile, slit chiles lengthwise, then stem and seed. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat until hot, then toast chiles in batches, opened flat, turning and pressing with tongs, until more pliable and slightly changed in color, about 30 seconds per batch. Transfer to a bowl and pour 2 1/2 cups boiling water over chiles. Soak, covered, until softened, about 30 minutes.

4. Purée chiles with 1 1/2 cups soaking liquid, chopped onion, remaining 6 garlic cloves, clove, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in cleaned blender until a smooth paste forms, about 2 minutes.

5. Heat oil in cast-iron skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, then add chile paste (it will spatter) and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 5 minutes.

6. Add chile paste and hominy and simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt.

Are you going to take a picture when it's done/while it's cooking?
I've never seen this before... or even heard of it... It looks like something I'd like to try... depending, lol.

I was just about to ask for this recipe after you mentioned it in the dinner thread - thanks :) In item 6, should it say to add chile paste and hominy to the pot?

Here you go....

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130112_171801.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130112_171801.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 280
It's a little rojo when you stir it. I didn't put in all of the chili paste that I made earlier...it gets pretty potent.

I've been thinking about making Posole...I don't have canned hominy--I have blue hominy that I have to soak. It seems to me that I soaked it for 48 hours the last time I made it. This sounds like a great recipe. If I can get organized, I think I know what I'm making this weekend!

This recipe makes enough to feed small armies. Prepare for leftovers.

Some confessions... I used a pressure cooker for the meat in the first step. Instead of country ribs, I substituted some frozen pork loin I had on hand.

Other than that, I followed the recipe...mostly. Recipes seem more like guides than gospel to me.

Back
Top Bottom