Prosciutto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wrap around ripe chunks of cantelope melon ...wonderful! serve torn on an anti pasti platter with peppers olives cheeses salumi etc. stir into a risotto or fresh pasta with cheese, serve with creamy scrambled eggs or poached eggs on bruschetta... or my fave: pizza with calamata olives, prosciuto and feta !

The melon is CLASSIC! Can not loose with that one.

I like Prosciutto stuffed chicken breast, with rosemary and roasted red peppers.

Dates, stuffed with goats cheese and wrapped in prosciutto, another goodie.

Prosciutto, baby spinach and smoked mozzarella paninni.

English muffin, prosciutto, poached egg, smoked gouda cream sauce...but save a little of the prosciutto and cut into thin ribbons, pan fry till crispy, top off your pseudo Bennies.

Not fancy but I love prociutto with honeydew mellon

I also like it on pizza
You can crisp it up and use it as toppings on salads
It's also good wrapped with shrimp and/or scallops
Use it in a Fritatta
Also good with Penne vodka sauce and peas
Wrap with asparagus

Most of the good ideas have been taken :-p But, here's some more...

Wrap it around a piece of cream cheese as an appy

Prosciutto & figs

Wrap it around watermelon fingers with Brie
National Watermelon Promotion Board :: Recipes

Rolled up in braciole

In a Caprese salad - fresh mozzarella balls, fresh basil, fresh tomatoes & drizzled w evoo (Did I mention everything should be fresh? :LOL: )

(Just to make you hungry)
Italian Food: Prosciutto

Sizz,
For a small bite on a warm evening try some baguette rubbed with garlic and brushed with a good evoo, toasted crisp. Then top with black olive tapenade, a basil leaf, and a piece of prosciutto. A deep red wine yummy!

kadesma;)

Thanks everyone for some wonderful ideas! I can't wait to try this. Since it'll be DH's first time also I'll see what he thinks we should go with.

OYSTERS WITH PROSCIUTTO & BALSAMIC VINEGAR

Place 24 fresh oysters on a baking tray & sprinkle with 2-3 T. of Balsamic vinegar.
Chop 6 slices of prosciutto & sprinkle over the oysters.
Sprinkle w/cracked black pepper & place under a broiler for 1 min., or till the prosciutto is starting to crisp.
I put the oysters on the bbq and grilled till they popped opened, topped with the balsamic, prosciutto & pepper - make sure they are in the 'cup' side of shell - and put back on grill till heated thru.
Yield:
"24 "

-----

and this wonderful dish from Wayne Gisslen's book -

ROASTED MONKFISH WRAPPED IN PROSCIUTTO
Professional Cooking, Wayne Gisslen

6 Ozs sugar
10 ozs water
1 1/2 lemons, zest only
3 sprig Rosemary
4 1/2 lbs Monkfish fillets
1 lb Prosciutto, sliced
as needed olive oil
RELISH
5 ozs Black olives, pitted, coarsely chopped
12 ozs Tomatoes, peeled, seeded, & chopped
4 ozs capers
1/2 oz chives, chopped
7 ozs olive oil
as needed whole chives for garnish

To prepare a syrup, dissolve the sugar in the water over low heat, bring
to the boil, then remove from the heat.
Add the lemon zest & rosemary sprigs and let stand to cool.
Brush the monkfish w/the syrup & lay on to the prosciutto ham.
Roll the ham around the fish & tie securely w/string.
Brush w/olive oil & sear under a broiler or salamander.
Finish cooking in a mod hot oven 375°
Remove from the oven & allow to rest a few minutes.
Prepare a relish by mixing together the olives, tomato, capers, chives,
& olive oil.

Slice the rested monkfish into thick (~1" thick) slices resembling
tournedos, allowing three per person. Arrange on plates.
Spoon the relish around the fish.
Garnish w/whole chives laid across the plate.

I like to put a some goat cheese on it and roll it up and eat it. It is quite tasty that way.

In a pinch, if you don't have pancetta, I would use proscuitto in a carbonara dish -- another thought is is a ricotta calzone.

Well curiosity got the best of me and I couldn't wait for DH to sample it with me for the first time.....shame shame I know :LOL: .

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. Its not at all what I thought it would be. I tried it by itself.....I made a few asparagus prosch. spears and finally I grilled some italian bread with evoo and rubbed it with garlic and then added the prosc. and some italian cheeses. Its the flavor of the meat itself that I'm still surpised about :ermm: . I don't know if its because I'm so used to the smokey flavor of ham type meats or what. But the prosc. was sweet flavored and that was a surprise for me. I'm not saying I don't like it ...I did.... but its just I thought I'd go crazy over this stuff.
Oh well at least now I can say I've tried it. Oh and I def. won't give up on it I'll try it in other recipes too.

I really hope they carry a quality prosciuto... honestly it can really be a hit or miss. I always stick to Prosciuto di San Daniele or di Parma, those are the absolute best, if quite costly, with the right aging procedure and saltiness. Maybe it is a drawback of being here where you can find all sorts of prosciutos good bad and ugly, but there are so many cheaper, generic prosciutos that makes me go :yuk:
See if they can let you taste it. It should be not too moist, on the salty side and doesn't taste like as if you are eating a raw bacon.

If you get a good prosciuto, enjoying it just as is, with figs or melons, would be the way to go as some others suggested.
If it is a bit of a disappointment, chop it up, sautè it and use it for pasta sauce or frittata.
But I really hope you will find a good one!! Good luck!

Edited: Aw, typical "speak before think" Licia again... I just saw your latest post, sorry it was a bit of a disappointment... yes, the "sweeter" prosciuto can often be an acquired taste... but as I said, less than "cutting edge" quality prosciuto can still be enjoyed cooked. You can substitute anything that calls for ham or bacon, for a bit of twist.

Last edited:
blanched asparagus spears wrapped in proscuitto and rolled in to filo dough. Butter then entire "Cigarette" and cut into bite size pieces and baked at 325 for about 4 to 6 mins its awesome for Hors D'oeuvres

Back
Top Bottom