Prosciutto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shrimp Stuffed With Prosciutto and Crab

3 Tb Olive Oil
1 Onion, finely diced
¼ C Chopped Parsley, divided
½ C Prosciutto, finely diced
1 C Cornbread crumbs
½ C Chicken Stock
1 Lb Lump Crabmeat
TT Salt Pepper
20 Shrimp, U12 size, peeled with tails on
Melted butter

Preheat oven to 400º F.

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion, half the parsley and the ham for 3 to 5 minutes until fragrant.

Combine cornbread crumbs and the chicken stock with the sautéed ham mixture in a large bowl.

Gently fold in crabmeat and remaining parsley. Season with salt and pepper.

Devein the shrimp. Butterfly the shrimp by deepening the deveining cut along the first half of the shrimps’ length (the fattest part) without cutting through.

Spread the fattest part of the shrimp flat and place the shrimp, cut side down, with the tail in the air so it resembles the tail of a scorpion. It is in this position that you will cook the shrimp.

Spoon 2 tablespoons of the stuffing onto the shrimp, placing the stuffing onto the base of the shrimp and packing it inside the curved part of the shrimp.

Perch the shrimps on a lightly buttered baking dish, maintaining the same position. Drizzle with some melted butter and bake 10 to 15 minutes.

Ms. Mofet's Saltimbocca

4 - 6 Servings

• 6 boneless cutlets - pork loin, chicken or veal, 1/2-inch thick
  • 6 slices (≈1/4 lb.) prosciutto (or smoked ham or boiled ham), sliced paper thin
  • 6 slices (≈1/4 lb.) sliced Swiss cheese
  • 4 TBSP butter
  • 2 TBSP olive oil or vegetable oil
  • 3 TBSP flour
  • 3/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
Herbs and Spices (to taste):

• Granulated Garlic powder
  • Onion powder
  • Goya Adobo seasoning (dry spice mix not the chilies paste)
  • Accent (or MSG) - optional
  • Ground Sea Salt
  • Ground peppercorn blend
  • Ground red pepper flakes
  • Cayenne
  • Hungarian Paprika (sweet, hot or both)
  • Poultry seasoning
  • Dried sage leaves, crushed or rubbed sage
Additional Items needed

• Toothpicks
  • Waxed paper, parchment paper or plastic wrap
  • Meat mallet
  1. Place cutlet on work surface and cover with waxed paper, parchment paper or plastic wrap.
  2. Pound meat thin with flat side of mallet and set aside.
  3. Repeat for each cutlet.
  4. Season cutlets on top side with herbs and spices to taste.
  5. Divide prosciutto and cheese among cutlets.
  6. Roll up each cutlet up jelly roll style; secure with toothpicks.
  7. Season rolls with additional herbs and spices on all sides.
  8. Heat butter and oil in large heavy pan (I used cast iron); brown meat on all sides over high heat, 5 to 10 minutes.
  9. Lower heat and continue cooking (turning several times so they don't burn) till fully cooked (internal temperature of 145°F).
  10. Remove cutlets from pan (leave drippings in pan).
  11. Stir flour into drippings in pan and cook for 1 - 2 minutes.
  12. Add wine and stock; bring to boil and cook till thickened.
  13. Place cutlets in pan and cover; simmer on low heat till tender (about 30 - 35 minutes)
  14. Remove toothpicks before serving.
  15. Serve saltimbocca with gravy.
Pork Saltimbocca Pictured below

img_1064102_0_660c71ca94b3dbadf8e3a5270820f224.jpg

img_1064102_1_2dad68af5770138f9e9a080e1977cf1b.jpg

wow, mofet, your saltimboca looks delicious. i've never seen it rolled up like cordon bleu before. that's a neat looking way to serve it.

along the same lines, you could make chicken sorrentino. bread and fry a chicken breast, top with a layer of prosciutto, a layer of floured/fried eggplant, and top with mozzarella. bake until the cheese melts, then serve with a sauce such as marsala, tomato, or even just a light brown chicken gravy.

for an appy, you could do prosciutto wrapped around honeydew melon slices, or prosciutto stuffed, honey drizzled figs.

as a side dish, you could wrap it around asparagus spears, or chop some into garlic sauteed broccoli florets.

wow, mofet, your saltimboca looks delicious. i've never seen it rolled up like cordon bleu before. that's a neat looking way to serve it.

along the same lines, you could make chicken sorrentino. bread and fry a chicken breast, top with a layer of prosciutto, a layer of floured/fried eggplant, and top with mozzarella. bake until the cheese melts, then serve with a sauce such as marsala, tomato, or even just a light brown chicken gravy.

for an appy, you could do prosciutto wrapped around honeydew melon slices, or prosciutto stuffed, honey drizzled figs.

as a side dish, you could wrap it around asparagus spears, or chop some into garlic sauteed broccoli florets.
Thank you bucky.

Take one large baguette shaped roll, cut in roll in half the long way. Arrange 4=6 slices of prosciutto on bottom half of the roll first brush it with either soft butter or evoo top the meat with about 2 oz of thick sliced fresh mozz that you've drained on a tea towel drizzle the mozz with some evoo fresh cracked black pepper and sea salt and 4=6 whole fresh basil leaves. now top with the rest of the roll. I like to put this in my panini maker and leave it just long enough to melt the cheese but it's great just as is.
kadesma

Last edited:
You might like this as an appy Bruschetta Prosciutto toast both sides of 4 slices of country bread cut1/2 in thick.making sure the inside is still soft.Rub both sides with a cut piece of garlic. Put your bread on a pretty platter and drizzle with evoo, top each slice with a thin slice of prosciutto and cut each slice in half.now if you can find some fresh figs cut them in half and drizzle with some honey. enjoy apple or pear slices are nice sprinkled with honey or lemon and extra fine sugar. .
kadesma

Last edited:
I like 1/4 inch slices of fresh mozz, lay a slice of prosciutto on top and roll it, dip in pesto and eat! Add grape tomatos for your veggie.

Pencil asparagus, blanched, lightly coated in olive oil that has been infused with minced garlic, then grilled. bundled in threes, wrapped in prosciutto and shaved parmesan over top!

Craig

Bake pieces of prosciutto until crispy.
While baking mix up a mango coulis
3/4 cup cubed peeled ripe mango

1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Mix some ricotta with some oregano, rosemary and basil and grill some slices of mango.
Place a scoop of herb-ed ricotta on the plate and place a piece of prosciutto and a couple of grilled mango slices on top. drizzle with coulis

@ Jusnikki: Proscuitto di Parma - common here

It is very common to use Proscuitto di Parma in an array of uncountable recipes in Italy ... The wrapping of veal scallopine or chicken scallopine, tapas or meze; antipasto and wrapped around green melon; pizza toppings, in sandwiches; and in Ragù Bolognese tomato sauce to replace pancetta ... strips as garnish on cream soups too ...

Off top of my head.

The recipe posted with the fotos looks wonderful.

Have nice Sunday,
Margi.

One of my favorites is arancini stuffed with a cube of mozzarella, and incorporating chopped prosciutto into the rice mixture. Veal (when I can find it) saltimbocca. Antipasto with marinated artichokes, roasted red peppers, mushrooms, fresh mozzarella & a baguette to go with. A cross between mozzarella caruso & monte cristo sandwiches. Similar to a ham and cheese sandwich, but dipped in egg batter & fried. Prosciutto wrapped around a slice of watermelon with a slice of fontina or mozzarella, & drizzled with balsamic. Avocado and/or melon wrapped in prosciutto. Bread sticks or asparagus wrapped in prosciutto. Add prosciutto to your pasta carbonara dish with peas and mushrooms, or top penne pasta with tomato/vodka sauce w/ prosciutto.

Last edited:
Proscuitto wrapped around Melon ( Honeydew )

@ Cerise,

Thanks for ur post ...

I love Proscuitto, and can just eat it simple with a bread stick, however, I love it with melon, particularly with honey dew, or green melon or Persian melon, the very light beige yellow melon ...

yes, i use in carbonara of course

what else ?

I also love Iberian acorn fed Jabugo ham in Spain ... it is to die for.

Have nice evening.
Margi

I am a purist .........proscuitto, sliced ripe tomatoes, sliced fresh mozzie, large leaves of basil.

Put any combo on toasted garlic bread, dip in balsamic. :yum: Can't get much better that THAT!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom