Pulled Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lindatooo

Head Chef
8 lb pork shoulder (Boston butt)

Pork Rub
1/4 C Kosher Salt
1/4 C black pepper
1/4 C chili powder
1 T driedOregano
1 T dried Thyme
1 t Cayenne

Root Beer BBQ Sauce
1 2-l.iter bottle root beer
1 1/2 C apple cider vinegar
1/2 C ketchup
1/3 C yellow mustard
2 T lemon juice
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T Tabasco (or other hot pepper sauce)
1 t Kosher salt
1 t black pepper
2 T unsalted butter.

PreparationDisolve 1 cup salt in 1 gallon water, allow to cool. Combine with Pork Butt in container (or plastic bag) and brine for 24 - 48 hours in refrigerator.

Rinse roast and coat it with the rub on all sides.

Place the roast on a grill with a packet of wood chips in foil or in a smoker. If using the grill place the roast over the uhn-heated half and the packet on the heated grate. Smoke the roast for 3 hours rotating at least 3 times during the process. Then wrap the roast in 2 layers of aluminum foil , tightly sealed, insert a thermometer and return to the grill for 2 hours or until it reaches 180°.

Root Beer BBQ Sauce
Reduce root beer to 1 cup over medium heat in a large sauce pan (about 1 hr)
Add next 8 ingredients and simmer 20 minutes.
Finish the sauce with the butter.

While the roast is still warm pull it with a granny fork with the grain or chop it into small pieces.
Combine the pork with 1 cup of the BBQ sauce.

To make sandwiches:
Butter Kaiser rolls and toast or grill them.
Pile on the pork/BBQ sauce combo, top with cole slaw and prepare yourself for a visit to nirvanna!

Mmm! Looks like a great recipe!!! I'm going to try that during the Memorial Day Weekend "feeshin' trip"! I hate to gut fish and your recipe might be my saviour! :D Nothing like scaling 15 bluegill just to make a sandwich :roll:

An interesting aside to the chimney thing...my husband's father who was a brilliant engineer, actually invented that about 45 years ago! What a shame he didn't patent it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom