"Pulled" Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
rjWBnN2FN52imoftZ1g8NWwikdENglj4YcxBsB3H4bHrgyOE1sEQ1TKZPAjpTlbMg7VQpYgawNApH1uqa93qesrLm9HAMk3odxFvLOEfSZDHma1T7Lg

I am calling this "Pulled" Pork, you will be able to shred this in the traditional manner when you get to that step. I have cut this across the grain to make it more acceptable to a certain toothless Ogre I know.

Pulled Pork

3.5 lb bone-in Pork leg roast
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup onion
3 cloves garlic
1 cup celery
2 Anaheim Peppers, seeded
2 jalapenos, seeded
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 tablespoon dried cilantro or ¼ cup minced, fresh
1 teaspoon ground cumin
⅓ cup fresh lime juice

Liberally salt and pepper the roast on all sides
Add grapeseed oil to 6 quart stock pot, bring to medium high heat. Sear roast on both side, about ten minutes each, add in 3 cups water.

Meanwhile, dice up your veggies and add into stock pot once you have added the water. Sprinkle on the cilantro and cumin. Cover and simmer overnight.

Pull meat from stockpot. Allow to cool until it can be handled. I removed the fatty chunks and disposed of them. This is the time to shred, hand pull the pork.

Add in the lime juice. Bring back up to serving temp.

Can be served over potatoes, rice noodles, beans, tortilla chips...

Once we had our lunch, I divided this into 4 meals for two and 6 individual meals for taking in my lunches. That is 16 servings for a total cost of $12.00 (.75 a serving) and the cooking time. This can also be made easily in a crockpot.

Last edited:
That sounds really good & very economical as well! I will have to try it sometime, thanks for the tip!

It's very basic, many things can be added. I'm sure I'll turn one batch into a bean stew with added tomatoes. Will also add tomatillo sauce to another batch.

I love creating a blank slate. YUM!

Thanks!

:yum: Will have to spelunk the freezer for various pork parts!

Last edited:
Thanks, JM. I think it's fun to make something you can change up on a whim. Cooking for two or one can be challenging.

There is a Carolina chopped pork recipe similar to what you've done. You recreated a classic!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom