Pulled Pork - By request from another thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeV

Washing Up
I was on the "What are you baking today" thread, and was asked to post this recipe for LPBeier, so I thought I'd put it where it belongs; under pork recipes. Here goes:

The pulled pork recipe doesn't exist (anyone else have some of these "recipes?). It changes every time I make it, although some things stay constant. I'll do my best to remember it all here, starting with the rub which goes on the 5# fresh picnic ham at least 8 hours before cooking:

Pork Rub

Fresh ground black pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Thyme
Basil
Hungarian paprika
Crushed red peppers
Cayenne pepper powder
Chili powder

I basically dump the ingredients into a bowl until it looks like the right amount of each, blend them well, and then pour them into a 2 oz shaker bottle that I get at World Market for $1 each. I try to make enough rub for 2-3 roasts.

Preparation

I cut the skin and excess fat from the picnic ham and place it in the middle of my 15" Magnalite Roaster with the meat rack on the bottom. I then liberally coat the entire roast with the rub, put the cover on and place in the refrigerator for min. 8-12 hours to allow the seasonings get into the meat.

I often make this up in the morning when I get up around 5 a.m. ( I love to work in the kitchen when nobody is around to bother me), and put in the fridge before going off to work. Then around 8 p.m. I fire up the oven to 225 degrees F, pop the roaster in the oven, and let it slow cook all night till I get up the next morning.

In the morning I check the meat with two forks, and if the meat shreds easily I pull it out of the oven, remove it from the pan to a platter and let it cool for about 1/2hour. You'll have about 2-3" of fat that renders out of the pork during the cooking process, so I'll warn you in advance to save a couple of containers to pour the fat into for disposal. DON'T POUR IT DOWN THE DRAIN. IT WILL CLOG UP YOUR PIPES!!! DISPOSE OF IN YOUR WEEKLY TRASH OR IN YOUR BURN BARREL.

I then shred the entire roast, removing any bits of fat and cartilage that did not render out while cooking, and then drown the shredded meat in... are you ready for this big time secret?... Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce.

A 5# roast with bone-in will yield about 3# of shredded meat. I take resealable containers and put 3/4# of finished product in each one, since that's about how much me and DW will eat for a meal, and put it in the freezer. I always put a post-it note label on my freezer containers with item description, weight (since I got my digital scale) and date it was packaged. This helps a lot to keep food rotated in the freezers.

I serve this either on my homemade hamburger rolls or my kaiser rolls, depending on what's in stock at the time. 1/4# of pulled pork on a kaiser roll, with a dollop of fresh, sweet coleslaw (Memphis style) makes for a great meal. Home fries go good with this meal or parsley'd redskins are nice also. This week we'll do the redskins and have the cinnamon rolls for dessert.

Enjoy!

Joe

If the weather is bad and I can't smoke it I cook in the oven but a bit differently. I place directly on the oven rack with a large pan underneath filled with apple juice. I usually just rub with olive oil and salt an pepper - I cook mine at 225 degrees F until internal temp reaches 200 - 210 F. I strive for 210 but sometimes it just won't happen. I made a HUGE one one Christmas Eve (started in the morning) and it took about 20 hours to cook!!! So glad I started it in the morning!

I like a vinegar based sauce and prefer to sauce on the bun. I also like a vinegar-based slaw (red slaw) to top it with.

Thanks for posting your version JoeV - there's nothing better than BBQ!

I use that low and slow cooking method. I rub with a cup of brown sugar, mixed with a couple tablespoons of chili powder and a tablespoon of salt. The sugar caramelizes, so it is only faintly sweet. The sugar also makes for a nice brown "bark".

Ok, I've lived in Ohio ALL my live. This isn't southern, northern, etc. This is the recipe my aunt used to make for all get togethers throughout my life. I've been making it for over 20 years now and it's so easy and soooo good!

4-5 lb. pork butt
2 lb. onions, chopped roughly (doesn't have to be finely minced)
2 T. vinegar
1 large bottle catsup

Put pork butt in crock pot. Add the onions. Cook on low 10-12 hours. (I usually cook it during the night.) Take out of crockpot and shred meat. Remove about 1/2 liquid in crockpot. Put shredded pork back in crockpot, add bottle of catsup and vinegar. Cook on low for at least 4 more hours. Serve on kaiser rolls with coleslaw. Yummy.......

My pulled pork recipe

Place pork in a pot with water. Boil it until it falls apart. Remove all the fat you can, pull the pork apart. Place the meat in a cake pan along with the liquid it was cooked in, enough to make the meat very wet.

Add, diced tomato(1 large can, or equivalent fresh) onion, ketchup,tomato juice, vinegar, white sugar, A huge amount of Worcestershire sauce(like an entire large bottle), salt, pepper a few dashes of Louisiana hot sauce. Stir, then taste. It should have a very strong bite to it with a sweet sour edge and should be brownish in color. The flavors will ease as it bakes down. The mixture at this point should be thin.

Place this in a 375 oven and bake until it is just moist, BBQ constancy.

In another bowl, mix up slaw mix with miracle whip(ok mayo will work too), Turmeric, a little white sugar and a touch of milk. There should be enough turmeric to make the slaw pretty yellow.

To serve, a generous helping of the pork on a bun, top with the slaw mix...
Fantastic stuff!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom