"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #41
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I must get my buttered bannocks out for you one day my dear, I am sure they would have you drooling.

I also like a large muffeletta when I get the chance.

And don't get me started on a delicious clafoutis although that takes us more into the area of batter.....
Ah Gritty the thought of your buttered bannocks eaten at room temp has brought a tear to my xxxx eye.
Have you ever tried Head Cheese?
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #42
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Ah Gritty the thought of your buttered bannocks eaten at room temp has brought a tear to my xxxx eye.
Have you ever tried Head Cheese?
I think its an acquired taste, have heard its quite smeggy.
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #43
Head Chef
 
Skittle68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic
I made the tastiest pulled pork I've ever made myself a couple weeks ago. I used this spice rub mix from Cooks' Illustrated on a three-pound pork shoulder roast and have a little left:

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground white pepper

I used 1 tsp. cayenne and smoked paprika instead of regular paprika.

I cut the roast into two pieces, to provide more surface area for the rub, then I massaged the mixture all over the roast and refrigerated it in a plastic bag overnight. In the morning, I took it out of the fridge to warm up a little, peeled and sliced a yellow onion to put in the bottom of the slow cooker, and put the roast in. Then I poured in a cup of apple cider vinegar, being careful not to wash the rub off the pork. I think the steam from the vinegar added a lot to the flavor.

Eight hours later, it was fall-apart tender when I went to turn it, so I put it in a bowl, let it cool down a bit, then removed the fat and pulled the pork. I poured the liquid (vinegar plus drippings and any rendered fat) into a cup measure and refrigerated it to make the fat congeal on top. My idea was to use the liquid to make a sauce, but it turned out, I didn't need it

We had it one day as a taco with homemade salsa and pickled onions, and another day as North Carolina pork barbecue with cole slaw. The meat had so much flavor, it barely needed anything more. So so good. I have a 7-pound roast in the fridge and will make it again this weekend. Hope this helps

I'm not familiar with "hot pork butties." If it's different from what I've described, can you tell us what it is? Thanks.
Wow, that sounds wonderful! Love the blend of seasonings, and the vinegar idea. Will have to try this one for sure!
Skittle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
GG, this sounds amazing, will give this a go for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I made the tastiest pulled pork I've ever made myself a couple weeks ago. I used this spice rub mix from Cooks' Illustrated on a three-pound pork shoulder roast and have a little left:

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground white pepper

I used 1 tsp. cayenne and smoked paprika instead of regular paprika.

I cut the roast into two pieces, to provide more surface area for the rub, then I massaged the mixture all over the roast and refrigerated it in a plastic bag overnight. In the morning, I took it out of the fridge to warm up a little, peeled and sliced a yellow onion to put in the bottom of the slow cooker, and put the roast in. Then I poured in a cup of apple cider vinegar, being careful not to wash the rub off the pork. I think the steam from the vinegar added a lot to the flavor.

Eight hours later, it was fall-apart tender when I went to turn it, so I put it in a bowl, let it cool down a bit, then removed the fat and pulled the pork. I poured the liquid (vinegar plus drippings and any rendered fat) into a cup measure and refrigerated it to make the fat congeal on top. My idea was to use the liquid to make a sauce, but it turned out, I didn't need it

We had it one day as a taco with homemade salsa and pickled onions, and another day as North Carolina pork barbecue with cole slaw. The meat had so much flavor, it barely needed anything more. So so good. I have a 7-pound roast in the fridge and will make it again this weekend. Hope this helps

I'm not familiar with "hot pork butties." If it's different from what I've described, can you tell us what it is? Thanks.
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Ah yes, a nice butty. Chip butty is a good one, a meal in itself. A favourite breakfast butty is bacon or sausage (with brown sauce). And of course, a nice treat anytime is a hot pork butty.
We love chip buttys...they are the best thing ever!
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I learned about chip butties from my Scottish ex-DH. He even had crisp (potato chips on this side of the pond) butties.
I like making them using nice crispy round rolls slathered in butter and then the crisps stuffed inside...perfect!
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:05 AM   #47
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
Bumping for Soma and Kylie - I used Got Garlics recipe - the spice mix was amazing and I left it on overnight . The pork was spot on , highly recommended .
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
Cheers GQ
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
This sounds wonderful and we are going to try it next weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I made the tastiest pulled pork I've ever made myself a couple weeks ago. I used this spice rub mix from Cooks' Illustrated on a three-pound pork shoulder roast and have a little left:

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground white pepper

I used 1 tsp. cayenne and smoked paprika instead of regular paprika.

I cut the roast into two pieces, to provide more surface area for the rub, then I massaged the mixture all over the roast and refrigerated it in a plastic bag overnight. In the morning, I took it out of the fridge to warm up a little, peeled and sliced a yellow onion to put in the bottom of the slow cooker, and put the roast in. Then I poured in a cup of apple cider vinegar, being careful not to wash the rub off the pork. I think the steam from the vinegar added a lot to the flavor.

Eight hours later, it was fall-apart tender when I went to turn it, so I put it in a bowl, let it cool down a bit, then removed the fat and pulled the pork. I poured the liquid (vinegar plus drippings and any rendered fat) into a cup measure and refrigerated it to make the fat congeal on top. My idea was to use the liquid to make a sauce, but it turned out, I didn't need it

We had it one day as a taco with homemade salsa and pickled onions, and another day as North Carolina pork barbecue with cole slaw. The meat had so much flavor, it barely needed anything more. So so good. I have a 7-pound roast in the fridge and will make it again this weekend. Hope this helps

I'm not familiar with "hot pork butties." If it's different from what I've described, can you tell us what it is? Thanks.
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 26,273
Good stuff! Enjoy!
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 27,033
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
What else does one do with pulled pork? It was great for nibbling. It was lovely in a sandwich, both with and without bbq sauce. It was kinda bland in tacos. Maybe I should heat it by frying next time - give it a bit of that Mayard effect.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #52
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
What else does one do with pulled pork? It was great for nibbling. It was lovely in a sandwich, both with and without bbq sauce. It was kinda bland in tacos. Maybe I should heat it by frying next time - give it a bit of that Mayard effect.
Pulled pork in tacos, you want to use some taco seasoning and then add everything you would put in a taco or some vinegary cole slaw.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 27,033
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Pulled pork in tacos, you want to use some taco seasoning and then add everything you would put in a taco or some vinegary cole slaw.
Taco seasoning, good idea.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
What else does one do with pulled pork? It was great for nibbling. It was lovely in a sandwich, both with and without bbq sauce. It was kinda bland in tacos. Maybe I should heat it by frying next time - give it a bit of that Mayard effect.
I would love it just on a plate with some salad or with some vegetables and gravy
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Good stuff! Enjoy!
Thanks GG, will let you know how I get on
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pork

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.