Ranch pork chops w/sauerkraut dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bossman150

Cook
This is one of my absolute favorite recipes. I have developed this recipe over many many tries and I have finally stopped tweaking it.

Preheat the oven to 450. Generously sprinkle 4-5 thick cut pork chops with Hidden Valley ranch powder on both sides. Drain a large can of sauerkraut (27-30oz). In a good sized pot heat 3.5 cups of water and a stick of butter to boiling, add in one box of pork and one box of cornbread Stovetop stuffing (I use to make it from scratch, but honestly the stove top tastes almost as good here and is much faster, you just have to use less water then the box calls for. If I have leftover cornbread I will crumble a cup or so in as well). Let it sit for 5 minutes, then add in the sauerkraut and mix well. Transfer stuffing mix to baking pan and put it in the oven.

Heat a cast iron skillet to almost smoking and add about 1/4 cup of refined coconut or olive oil. Add in the chops and get a really good sear on both sides. Remove from the pan and place them in a baking pan and put them in the oven for 8-12 minutes depending on how thick they are, you want them 145 degrees in the center and then take them out and let them rest for 5 minutes. With the iron skillet still very hot add in 1.5-2 tbsp of Hidden Valley ranch powder, this will brown VERY quickly, add in 2/3cup of milk and whisk to get the bits off the bottom of the pan. To the milk add in 8-12oz of sour cream, depending on how thick you would prefer it. Using a whisk vigorously stir to combine the milk, sour cream and coconut oil. Taste and add seasoned salt if desired. Bring to a simmer and then leave on low heat until served.

Take the stuffing out when it is brown and a little crunchy on the edges. The way I serve it is to cover the chop in the sour cream sauce/gravy with the dressing on the side. Mashed potatoes also goes great with this!

I am fortunate enough to live in a city with a great mixture of nationalities. So fresh sauerkraut is readily available. We have a large population of German Jews that reside in the next town over where my supermarket is located. So fortunately for me, I don't have to buy canned sauerkraut. In fact, I don't even think my supermarket sells the cans.

I am fortunate enough to live in a city with a great mixture of nationalities. So fresh sauerkraut is readily available. We have a large population of German Jews that reside in the next town over where my supermarket is located. So fortunately for me, I don't have to buy canned sauerkraut. In fact, I don't even think my supermarket sells the cans.

Very nice! The only problem with authentic sauerkraut is they often insist on adding sugar to it. My Uncle lived in Germany for many years and he gets irritated with my that I don't like sweet kraut like he got used to in Germany. I just can't do sweet vinegar/brine stuff.

I tried making it myself once, but I think I made the mistake of rinsing the cabbage with tap water, which I am told can kill the bacteria needed for the fermenting process to work. I really should try again, I LOVE sauerkraut!

...I tried making it myself once, but I think I made the mistake of rinsing the cabbage with tap water, which I am told can kill the bacteria needed for the fermenting process to work. I really should try again, I LOVE sauerkraut!
Hi, bossman, and welcome aboard the DC food train! Sometimes we get derailed around here, but we usually end up at a good destination. ;)

German sauerkraut tends to add sugar and often include caraway seed. When we lived in OH, it was easy to find "with caraway/no sugar" kraut both canned and fresh. When we moved to MA I grabbed a can of "with caraway" kraut for supper - and was horrified to find out it had sugar! Most every other kraut I've had does not. I I now buy Snow Floss kraut in a bag, and it is good enough.

Regarding your sauerkraut attempt, I suggest you read Steve Kroll's post on how he does it. Steve's a pretty smart guy and usually has great advice. I haven't tried this as of yet, since I tend to make things in one-quart batches. All I have is a one-quart crock and a five-or-more-gallon crock. Right now my small crock is waiting for me to buy pickling cukes so I can make my first batch of dill pickles this week.

Back
Top Bottom