Short on time with my pork spare ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skittle68

Sous Chef
Have a full slab of pork spare ribs in the oven right now, and they will not quite have 3 hours to cook. I've got them on a rack, tented with foil, and I plan to finish them on the grill for the flavor. Since I knew I was a little short on time, I started them on 400 for the first 40 min, and now I have it turned down to 325. Do you think they are going to be tender enough?? I would have started them in the pressure cooker, but of course that's packed up in storage until we move into our new place. Any suggestions?

Oh, and it is a smaller rack, not one with the long horizontal bone

That should be plenty of time. You could also put them in the pan with some liquid, tightly covered. One recipe I use is about half cup of ketchup mixed with half cup of water, garlic, and other seasonings. This braising will really tenderize the meat. Then you can finish them on the grill which will dry up the surface and get that smokey grilled flavor. If you put them on the grill on low heat, you can turn and sauce them all you want. They only get better over time...

Last edited:
Just to let you know, the ribs turned out great!! Might start them at a high temp like that to get them going every time! I just love how juicy they stay when cooked under a tinfoil tent like that.

Back
Top Bottom