Smoked Butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokeyblue

Assistant Cook
9# butt brushed w/ grape juice and heinz 57 and rubbed w a memphis rub
img_682188_0_6f82d018a69b0b133ffddb24c230fc00.jpg

about 4 hrs in smoker @ 225* with hickory and apple wood
img_682188_1_dcb8277d8b65e3d71dffd7ef69fadaee.jpg

Foiled at 160* till 205* total time in the smoker was 16.5 hrs
img_682188_2_21f61f9bc3fa351623821cb6b9aef241.jpg

In the cooler for the 3 hr rest
img_682188_3_967260af1206a8a8cc2364b4ea1b3743.jpg

Finished product
img_682188_4_95d7e9b01604a17a21762504c412e826.jpg

enjoy

Last edited:
man that looks great! what kind of smoker do u run? i wanna get one someday.

man that looks great! what kind of smoker do u run? i wanna get one someday.
Thanks, i have a Chargriller smokin pro side fire box style and a Smoke Hollow verticle gas fired smoker. good luck with gettin a smoker.

that a fatty i spot on there too ?
looks great .. its been to long since i have put a
butt on the pit ...

a 3 hour rest?

I never heard of letting a meat rest for that long. Ive also never smoked anything like that before.

Does it help in the redistribution of moisture and does it help the meat hold on to it?

a 3 hour rest?

I never heard of letting a meat rest for that long. Ive also never smoked anything like that before.

Does it help in the redistribution of moisture and does it help the meat hold on to it?

I do the same thing. After the butt is finished cooking, I wrap it real good in foil, then wrap a couple of bath towels around it and let it sit in an empty igloo ice chest for a few hours. It comes out hot, juicy, and falling off the bone tender.

that a fatty i spot on there too ?
You have a sharp eye, this perticular one ended up being what i call a biscuit and gravy fatty wellington. Wrapped in biscuit dough, back in the smoker and topped with peppered milk gravy. Do u ever visit smokingmeatforums.com? Judging by ur screen name, i think ud like it

a 3 hour rest?
I never heard of letting a meat rest for that long. Ive also never smoked anything like that before. Does it help in the redistribution of moisture and does it help the meat hold on to it?

Yep, it redistributes the moisture and by putting it in the cooler, it stays hot longer which breaks down the conective tissues even more and renders more fat out of the butt. IMHO, this has to be done to a butt for it to me done right. i let one rest for 6 hrs once b4, (i fell asleep)

I do the same thing. After the butt is finished cooking, I wrap it real good in foil, then wrap a couple of bath towels around it and let it sit in an empty igloo ice chest for a few hours. It comes out hot, juicy, and falling off the bone tender.
I dont use the foil, but this is about the same thing that i do. I just put in the cooler and cover it with towells. I have a cooler that i use ONLY for pork butts

Why is that? Does the aroma penetrate into the cooler in a way that would affect other foods?

Well, the plastic inside the cooler kinda does take on the same smell as the food, but it goess away if ya wash it reaaly good and leave it open for a while. The only reason that i use this one only for pork butts is that it is too big to be a lunch box, but too small to put beers in. I guess that i use it for briskets also, so its not only for butts:cool:

Thanks for the forum, Smokey.
My WSM should be arriving this week and I've been pouring over the smoking forums trying to pick up tips. Errr, I mean BBQing forums :ermm: Still working on that terminology thing ;)

Well, the plastic inside the cooler kinda does take on the same smell as the food, but it goess away if ya wash it reaaly good and leave it open for a while. The only reason that i use this one only for pork butts is that it is too big to be a lunch box, but too small to put beers in. I guess that i use it for briskets also, so its not only for butts:cool:

OK, I'll have to face that dilemma when I get a smoker. My current cooler's main function is as a proofing box for bread doughs. It sounds like trying to use the same one for resting pork butts will probably be inadvisable.

Thanks for the answer - and to all for a very informative thread!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom