Somerset Bacon Chops.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wyshiepoo

Senior Cook
Adapted from an oldish recipe book.

2 Bacon chops
50g butter plus a little extra
1 medium to large onion
Half a cooking apple (Bramley or similar.)
25g breadcrumbs
1 tbsp. sultanas
pepper
1 egg

Slice a pocket in the bacon chops. Cut the pocket as far as you can without slicing right through.

Cut two slices from the centre of the onion for onion rings.

Chop the rest of the onion finely, fry the chopped onion gently in 25g of the butter.
Grate the apple (peeled and cored obviously)
Beat egg.
Combine onion, breadcrumbs, grated apple, egg, pepper and sultanas.

Stuff chops with mixture, place in roasting pan and pour the other 25g of melted butter over the chops.

Place in oven at gas mark 5, 375F 190C for about 30 to 45 minutes. Baste frequently.
Fry the onion rings in a little butter until crispy and use them to garnish the chops.
I make a sauce/gravy with the juices left in the bottom of the pan, although as mentioned by Gravy Queen a cider sauce would be good too.

Wyshiepoo, this looks lovely. Are bacon chops what we here across the pond would call smoked pork chops?

Last edited:
Wyshiepoo, this looks lovely. Are bacon chops what we here across the pond would call smoked pork chops?
I was curious too, so I Googled:

Little more than a long shoulder-cut pork chop, bacon chops retain the pork belly meat and this simple slight of the knife makes all the difference. Think of a bacon chop like a mullet: business, or standard chop, in the front; and party (belly, aka uncured bacon) in the back.
from bacon chops. - tilted skillet

That looks sooooo good!

Sure wish they sold that cut of pork chop here!! Goodness knows we could use some more piggy fat in our way too lean chops these days.

You can get bone in bacon chops but this recipe calls for boneless chops. It is difficult to get true bacon chops where I live so I get my butcher to cut me some good thick slices from the fattier end of a side of bacon.

One thing I didn't mention is that I don't use any salt, or at best a smidgeon of salt as I feel that the bacon is pretty salty anyway.

The book I adapted this from, Hamlyn All Colour Cook Book, does mention that the recipe could be done with a good thick pork chop. I might get some from my butcher who does some lovely thick free range chops and monkey about with the recipe.

Last edited:
The closest I could come to it right now would be a really thick loin chop. And that would have the bone. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom