Spam - the kind you eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had "spamburgers" as a kid, and is still a great comfort food to me. You grind up a can of spam with an onion, and about 1 1/2" slice of velveeta cheese, add a can of cream of chicken soup, then spread it just a little less than 1/2" thick on somewhat stale hotdog or hamburger buns, then broil until golden brown. They are soooooo good!

Spam is a once-a-year purchase when laying in hurricane supplies. I discovered that they even make 'Spam singles' in a little foil pouch - not bad emergency meat. Ah, yes -- batteries, toilet paper, and Spam.

Spam is real meat, pork to be exact. It is cut up with pork fat, seasoned with too much salt, a little smoke flavoring, and sodium nitrites. It is pressed into a can, sealed, and cooked in the can. It was developed as a way to easily provide meat to soldiers in one of the world wars, I don't remember which. If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a Spam processing plant in Hawaii?

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I keep telling everyone it's meat! And healthy to boot! :LOL:

In general, we have a high tolerance for salty foods... but the last time we had spam, it was like eating a spam-flavored salt block. Because the husband loves it, we'll have it again, but this time we'll try the 'low-sodium' version... Hopefully, that version will be be more edible.

I grew up having to eat it straight from the can... ugh... if you don't fry it first, it's not really edible in my humble opinion. ;)

I had friends that used to wax poetic about spam and onion sandwiches. I don't quite remember but i think they said that they grill them.

In general, we have a high tolerance for salty foods... but the last time we had spam, it was like eating a spam-flavored salt block. Because the husband loves it, we'll have it again, but this time we'll try the 'low-sodium' version... Hopefully, that version will be be more edible.

I grew up having to eat it straight from the can... ugh... if you don't fry it first, it's not really edible in my humble opinion. ;)
Give my sandwich spread a try (a few posts into this thread). Nothing like eating Spam out of the can, but not salty either. I have made pinwheels with it (flour tortilla rolled with filling, then sliced into pinwheels) and no one even realized it was Spam.

I don't like how salty Spam is when it is fried either, but when we were really low on food we had some beans and a can of Spam. I cubed the Spam and fried it, then I added it to the beans toward the end of their cooking, and it was pretty good.

:)Barbara

When I was a young, my older sister and I would slice it up room temperature and make sandwiches with mustard. We would get in trouble because that was a planned meat for a meal to feed the family of 7. My mother would slice it, dip in egg then cracker crumbs and fry it. Spam Chops!
Now I will have to scour the cabinets and see if I have any.

Give my sandwich spread a try (a few posts into this thread). Nothing like eating Spam out of the can, but not salty either. I have made pinwheels with it (flour tortilla rolled with filling, then sliced into pinwheels) and no one even realized it was Spam.

That reminds me, hubby loves deviled ham on crackers, I bet he would love your spam sandwich spread as well. Kind of a similar concept... I'll have to try it out on him... :)

That reminds me, hubby loves deviled ham on crackers, I bet he would love your spam sandwich spread as well. Kind of a similar concept... I'll have to try it out on him... :)
Let me know how he likes it. It is my husband's favorite!

When I was a young, my older sister and I would slice it up room temperature and make sandwiches with mustard. We would get in trouble because that was a planned meat for a meal to feed the family of 7. My mother would slice it, dip in egg then cracker crumbs and fry it. Spam Chops!
Now I will have to scour the cabinets and see if I have any.

Add some Parmesan cheese and your favorite tomato sauce and you have Spam Parmesan! :idea:

I like a Spam sandwich, fixed just the way you described. I also like fried Spam and eggs, or ground in meat spread...really, lots of ways as long as it's heated up. I don't care for it cold, although I don't detest it that way.

Have you ever tried canned ham chunks, in a tuna-sized can? We were out of lunchmeat, and I got DH to try it out today. He ate it with mustard and cheese on crackers (while I ate my sockeye salmon) and was surprised to find that it was pretty good.

For some reason, the cats have been trying to kiss me ever since lunch.

I like a Spam sandwich, fixed just the way you described. I also like fried Spam and eggs, or ground in meat spread...really, lots of ways as long as it's heated up. I don't care for it cold, although I don't detest it that way.

Have you ever tried canned ham chunks, in a tuna-sized can? We were out of lunchmeat, and I got DH to try it out today. He ate it with mustard and cheese on crackers (while I ate my sockeye salmon) and was surprised to find that it was pretty good.

For some reason, the cats have been trying to kiss me ever since lunch.[/QUOTE]

I get the same thing, with almost anything canned...they really like the Salmon, though!:LOL:

Oh, a couple more little things. I think there is a SPAM carving contest. Probably a the SPAM fest in Austin (MN that is)

But you know you grew up broke when you eat imitation SPAM. I think it was called Treet or something like that.

My mom grew up in Austin MN! That's probly why I grew up eating spam burgers lol (ground spam, onion, velveeta cheese, and cream soup spread on a bun and broiled. Yum!)

Back
Top Bottom