Spam - the kind you eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never seen Kilk, and I don't like Treet - not the same as Spam. I'm going to have to branch out and try some of the recipies that were given here. I especially like the "Spam salad" with the pickle relish.

I eat it plainly pan-fried by itself. So good Q.Q. With no shame, I don't really eat low-sodium. :)

We had "spamburgers" as a kid, and is still a great comfort food to me. You grind up a can of spam with an onion, and about 1 1/2" slice of velveeta cheese, add a can of cream of chicken soup, then spread it just a little less than 1/2" thick on somewhat stale hotdog or hamburger buns, then broil until golden brown. They are soooooo good!

That sounds something like the Spam Pizzaburgers my mother (my "I hate to cook" mother) used to make. After her mother died, my aunt (who is a fantastic cook) decided to compile a cookbook for the new brides (her DILs) of my granny's recipes, her mother's recipes, etc. Well, the only recipe my mother could provide was the one for the Spam Pizzaburgers. My copy of the cookbook is around here somewhere...but she'd grind the Spam (wonder why unwanted email is called Spam...I digress), mix it with spaghetti sauce, put it on a hamburger bun, top it with cheese, and put it under the broiler.

Last edited:
On vacation in Aruba we had a Hawaii-themed party. Spam was a natural in that venue. I fried up some cubes of hickory smoked spam and toothpicked each with a cube of fresh pineapple. They were simple and a big hit as there was none left. Even people who had turned up their noses at the idea of eating Spam said they liked it.

I have read that Hawaiians eat more spam than anyone else in the world. It's a major staple and they are quite creative with the product.

Lived in Hawaii on and off for a decade. Spam was a staple, everyone (but us) loved it. Spam sushi (not kidding), spam/pineapple kabobs. Spam on noodles. Spam with scrambled eggs everywhere (not kidding, even at McD's). Spam everywhere. And I do mean everywhere. I threw a party here and made it a Hawaii themed party, and friends were absolutely amazed that spam was featured! No one who has ever lived in Hawaii would think of having a party without Spam. When we moved to the mainland, we visited Austin, MN. We were having a drink at a local thirst parlor, and the gal who was our bartender joked about it. She thought that the local teachers were lying or exaggerating or something when they told the kids that the local product, SPAM, was a huge hit in Hawaii. Jer and I joked, and had a good time about it. No, it really was (don't know if it still is) very, very popular in Hawaii when we lived there (in the 80s). I don't think we ever went anywhere there wasn't a spam dish.

Hi Claire. I thought I'd reserect this thread to give you the latest report on Spam in Hawaii. ;) We just returned from a vacation on Kauai (swooning) and Spam is still alive and well. :LOL:
It was interesting to see that even gas station convenience stores have "Spam Rolls" (think hot Sushi hand rolls with Spam) next to their hotdogs.
They were really good !! Something about the rice and Nori going well with the super salty Spam. I actually think I'll make some at home.

I'm glad to hear SPAM culture is alive and well in Hawaii! It always cracks me up that people order "Hawaiian" pizzas that have pineapple and .... CANADIAN BACON? What is Hawaiian about Canadian bacon? A real Hawaiian pizza had SPAM on it!!!!

I know that Hawaii turned into a Spam loving state during the war. Goods were difficult to come by and the cans of Spam were easily shipped. Even to the troops. I have read alot of Spam recipes from Hawaii and would definately give them a try.

Hi Claire. I thought I'd reserect this thread to give you the latest report on Spam in Hawaii. ;) We just returned from a vacation on Kauai (swooning) and Spam is still alive and well. :LOL:
It was interesting to see that even gas station convenience stores have "Spam Rolls" (think hot Sushi hand rolls with Spam) next to their hotdogs.
They were really good !! Something about the rice and Nori going well with the super salty Spam. I actually think I'll make some at home.

Be sure to add a smear of plum sauce on it. So good!

Kayelle, what you are talking about (the SPAM sushi) I think is called mushubi or something like that. It was available just about everywhere in those days.

Kayelle, what you are talking about (the SPAM sushi) I think is called mushubi or something like that. It was available just about everywhere in those days.

That's what our Hawaiian friends back home always called it, pronounced moo-soo-bee. I've had many a breakfast of Spam, eggs, and rice (always called "Spam 'n eggs 'n rice") with them. One friend brought it caramelized in brown sugar to a breakfast themed potluck. It was quite tasty! Spam and eggs was a classic for breakfast for the first morning of backpacking trips in my single days. You just didn't want to be the poor schmuck who got stuck packing in the eggs, JIC they didn't quite make it.:LOL: I think my personal favorite though is just fried spam on white bread with miracle whip. One of about 3 things I actually like with white bread.

Yep, they used some word I'd never heard before. The rolls I saw were about as big as a hotdog with a bun........anything but "dainty", and I've never thought of hot sushi before. :rolleyes:

Recipe: http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Spam.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom