Tasso ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just came back from Charleston and loved the shrimp with grits and tasso ham gravy. I can't find any tasso ham where I live and would order some, but don't know which brands are good ones - ones that will produce the tasso gravy I loved in Charleston. Any suggestions?
Thanks!!!!

Hi Jules...Tasso is difficult to find outside of South Louisiana...with maybe a little spill over in a few spots in extreme South Mississippi, and maybe east Texas. Tasso is made almost exclusively from pork...specifically the pork shoulder, with a tiny amount made from Turkey, sometimes beef. The name Tasso "Ham" is a misnomer..while the Spicy, Hot, Smoked meat is sliced, chopped and used to flavor many dishes, gravies etc, it is in no way ham....

I visit these folks fairly often...

Enjoy, and Welcome to DC

I think I'll make some, UB, since I can't get it around here, either.

Doesn't look difficult. Do you have a favorite rub recipe, technique?

Lee

I don't make it Miss Lee...Never tried.... It's too easy to just buy it...So, no I don't have a rub recipe...Some of this stuff, depending on the cook, is slowly cured/smoked for 2 to 3 days.

My step-FIL made some in a frying pan one year, because he found his stuffing recipe too late to get the Tasso shipped for Thanksgiving.
He just threw some spices on a slice of ham and kind-of blackened it.
Wasn't quite the same but it worked to chop into stuffing anyway!
HTH.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom