To Glaze or not to Glaze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you Glaze your ham?

• Total voters

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
This is the question. I have been reading about glazing hams. I've never glazed a ham. (Kate just said "Why would you glaze a ham?") I think we are purists here, we like our meat without glaze. How about you?

Edit: Feel free to include glaze recipes if you are so inclined.

Honey roasted for me

Oh I love to glaze mine.
My favourite is honey roasted. I boil the ham first and then make a glaze with honey, mustard (english and strong), brown sugar and vinegar.
Roast the ham with the glaze for about 30 mins and it tastes amazing.
You can also add some fresh orange juice to the water you boil the ham in for some extra flavour.:pig:

I use a true Vermont maple syrup or brown sugar for a glaze...I put this over the pineapple and cherries along with some of the pineapple juice - yummy

Gotta go for the glaze. Especially for when it comes out of the oven and I can pick off little pieces of the glaze-drenched fat to nibble on.

Always glaze. Am with Lesley, use mustard, vinegar, and then something sweet like brown sugar, maple syrup or honey or a mixture.

And I am glad I am not making one with mudbug because we would have the whole thing picked clean before anyone else could get near itl LOL.

Oh, that's the best part, girls.
I prefer to glaze the ham, and I've used several different recipes. The way my mom always did it was to score the top of the ham, stud it with cloves, and lay sliced pineapple on top. Sometimes, for special occasions, she'd stick Maraschino cherries in the center of the pineapple slices. She then mixed the juice drained from the pineapple with brown sugar, and basted the ham with that as it baked. It's delicious.

I've also used a mixture of Apricot jam or jelly and Dijon mustard. Heat and stir in a saucepan until warm and starting to bubble.

I also did a good one with peaches that was awfully good, but for some reason I can't get it to paste here.

Constance said:
The way my mom always did it was to score the top of the ham, stud it with cloves, and lay sliced pineapple on top. Sometimes, for special occasions, she'd stick Maraschino cherries in the center of the pineapple slices. She then mixed the juice drained from the pineapple with brown sugar, and basted the ham with that as it baked.

Connie, my mom did the same simple glaze. Lovely stuff.

Oh, that's the best part, girls.
I prefer to glaze the ham, and I've used several different recipes. The way my mom always did it was to score the top of the ham, stud it with cloves, and lay sliced pineapple on top. Sometimes, for special occasions, she'd stick Maraschino cherries in the center of the pineapple slices. She then mixed the juice drained from the pineapple with brown sugar, and basted the ham with that as it baked. It's delicious.

I've also used a mixture of Apricot jam or jelly and Dijon mustard. Heat and stir in a saucepan until warm and starting to bubble. Very good, and not quite as sweet as the above.

Another good one we like is a peach glaze. Drain a large can of peach halves, and mix the syrup with 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1 cup honey, 1 cup brown sugar, and allspice to taste, about 1/2 tsp. Use to baste your ham.
When the meat is almost tender, arrange the peach halves around it, sprinkle with allspice, and cook another half hour or so.

But we don't always glaze the hams. When we get the Big Daddy bone-in ham for Christmas, we just let it roast in it's own fat, and it's delicious.

Our ham is glazed with a mustard glaze. The ingredients are: 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 2 tablespoon orange or pineapple juice, and 1 teaspoon stone ground mustard. Combine all ingredients well and spoon over ham the last half hour of baking time. Makes 1/2 cup glaze. If needed add more fruit juice to get to the desired consistency.

Have never glazed a ham but I think I will try it this Christmas. The only thing is then what do you make the great ham gravy with? I would really miss my milk ham gravy.

my mom used to stud the ham with cloves, pineapple slices, and cherries, and then glaze it with that bizarre, store-bought, neon red jar of glaze.

the oven glowed almost radioactively when she opened the door each time to add more glaze.

dw makes hers with no glaze, so the image of the oven door isn't burnt on to the opposite wall in the kitchen, like when i was a kid. :cool:

reading back: connie, i could kiss you! thanks for the peach glaze recipe. i love cooked peaches.

OK, the neon radioactive glaze made my eyes bug out. I think I'd be afraid to eat it! I'm reading all these responses and when I think about it, I realize that we never glazed our hams because Mom would cook the ham, and then slice and serve. BUT, she would peel off the outer skin before slicing and toast that up in the oven until it was hard as a rock. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!! Crackling! It was soooo good.

yes I do, Sometimes, it`s not a Regular thing though.
like Clives Mom, I also use the clove studs and the pineapple, sometimes I use orange, Honey and mustard is also very nice too.

Back
Top Bottom