Toad in the Hole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

les

Sous Chef
This is my version of Toad in the Hole. It's ideal for a quick, tasty mid-week meal, you don't have to add the tomatoes & onions, I just wanted to use them up. You can use whatever left over meat you have as well.

img_848464_0_3c6901f3ba5fd662216738bb1768a578.jpg

Serves 4
Prep Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 30 mins
Ingredients

3 Large free range eggs
Semi skimmed/half fat milk
Plain/all purpose flour
6 Cumberland/pork sausages
1 Large onion, sliced
1 Large tomato, sliced
2 Tbsp Olive oil

Method

Heat the oil in a large wok or frying pan
Add the sliced onion and fry until soft and slightly golden
Meanwhile heat the grill and brown the sausages
Arrange the onion and sausages in an preheated 8 inch/203mm/20.3cm casserole dish

Method for the batter

Break the eggs into a cup and take note of the level
Transfer the eggs into a large mixing bowl
Pour the milk up to the same cup level
Transfer the milk to the mixing bowl with the eggs
Do the same with the flour
Whisk the ingredients together until air bubbles form on the top
Pour over the sausages and add the sliced tomato on top
Bake in a preheated oven 220°C/425°F/Gas mark 7 for approx 30 minutes, until pudding has risen above the dish and is golden brown

Cooks tips

If you want to use sausages wrapped in bacon, wrap a rasher of bacon around each sausage, place in the casserole dish and bake in a hot oven 220°C/425°F/Gas mark 7 for 20 minutes, then add the batter
For mushrooms, just slice thickly and fry off with the onion

Equipment

Large mixing bowl
Large frying pan or wok
8 inch/203mm/20.3cm casserole dish

Shopping List

3 Large free range eggs
Semi skimmed/half fat milk
Plain/all purpose flour
6 Cumberland/pork sausages
1 Large onion
1 Large tomato
2 Tbsp Olive oil

Well, I wouldn't say it's diet food lol...but, you don't have to use sausages, you can use any lean leftover meat instead. I try to keep the calories down, hence semi skimmed milk & no extra meat fat in the batter mix. Sometimes I just use the leftover chicken/beef meat from the Sunday lunch..hope that helps ..

Well, I wouldn't say it's diet food lol...but, you don't have to use sausages, you can use any lean leftover meat instead. I try to keep the calories down, hence semi skimmed milk & no extra meat fat in the batter mix. Sometimes I just use the leftover chicken/beef meat from the Sunday lunch..hope that helps ..

Yeah, I thought it was healthier than normal because of the milk choice etc. Anyway, thank you for your information :) It is very helpful!

i used to make toad in the hole for my grandkids. just a piece of toast with hole in it. and a fried egg on top. some use soft boiled i think. and or poached

I think that's an excellent name to call egg in a slice of toast for the grandkids, I bet they loved to eat a toad lol...when I was little my Nan would serve me a boiled egg for breakfast & always say " here you are Lesley, the chicken laid this especially for you this morning" it worked everytime..I ate it!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom