Vacuumed Sealed Pork Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michelemarie

Executive Chef
I have been buying slabs of pork ribs for a while now. I have two slabs I am planning on making today; however, one of the packages does not appear to be tightly sealed like all the others. There is no hole in the package because nothing is leaking out - but instead of the plastic being tightly formed to the ribs - the ribs are loose inside the bag - and they look more brown instead of the other slab that has the plastic more tightly formed around the slab and appear more pink. The "use by" date is the same on both packages, Oct 6 - is this package of ribs safe to cook?

Cut the bag open and sniff it. I'll bet it's "whiffy". If it is I'd take it back. If it smells like fresh meat it should be OK.
IMO.

If they have been properly refrigerated, the vacuum seal should not make a difference. I assume it had the vac seal when you bought it and then it lost the vacuum in your home.

Thanks for responding pacanis and Andy M. - I will do the sniff test - looking for my receipt now just in case - what would cause the vacuum seal to break if there is not a hole?

It may not have vacuumed fully to begin with. The little air that was left in there caused some oxidation. Also, know that there will be a bit of a whiff at first - it will probably dissipate. I'd say they are ok - just a bit oxidized. After airing out a couple minutes take another whiff.

They get pretty slimy, too.
I've only had that problem with the prepackaged vaccum sealed ribs. And it was well before the date on the label.

Yep. You're all set to cook something that should be fresh.... and....
puke.gif

Yep. You're all set to cook something that should be fresh.... and....
puke.gif

Okay, that is funny! Thanks for that! Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I found the receipt and took them back to the store, manager was very nice and said, "no way, give those things back to me, pick what you want!" So I bought TWO more (now cooking three slabs) - I get so nervous about stuff like that. Thanks, everyone, for your help!

It's actually animated.... don't know why that didn't come through, but that's probably just as well :wacko:

mmm, THREE slabs of ribs.....

Hey, anyone from Chicago that can't cook ribs should move! Right Michelemarie? ;)

All three slabs came out fantastic! Two slabs for the family and another slab for a friend in need - thanks so much for your help guys --- would have loved to serve everyone one of you!

Back
Top Bottom