What can I do with a pork forequarter roast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quadlex

Cook
Today I went grocery shopping, and my store had a sale on Pork Forequarter roasts, $4.99 for 1Kg of pig. So naturally I bought one.

But, the problem is I'm only cooking for one. I've got 1.2Kg of pork for a single person. Not only that, but I'm on a diet, and so I want to do something that's not very fatty, and that won't have pork going to waste afterwards... So either something I can cook with some of the roast, or something I can freeze afterwards.

Any suggestions? Americans seem to be more creative with pork then Australians, I'm sure some of you have something I can try:P

Quadlex, unfortunately, forequarter pork IS fatty. Either remove the outside fat before or after cooking, is all I can suggest. Longer cooking will also render some of the fat, but it still must be drained as much as possible.

Here are a few cooking suggestions
Australian Pork Limited

Quadlex since you want to watch your fat intake...Remove the fat cap portion of the roast and slow roast it on a bed of vegetables...onions, carrots, potatoes etc. This will help keep the meat up out of the fat/juices as it cooks and renders internal fat. Once it is done...seperate into 3 or 4 different "roast" for later use. Wrap each piece well and freeze. As you pull and thaw each piece out of the freezer you can decide then what to do with it. Be creative! Soup, stews, chopped finely for chili, or tacos, serve with gravy and mashed potatoes, sandwiches etc. etc. The ideas are endless!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom