What can I do with Pork Shoulder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am sorry if this is in a wrong category. I got a pork shoulder from a food pantry, and was wondering what to do with it. I heard I can do Pulled pork, but don't know how to transform this big mass into pulled pork. All I need to know is how to get the material. I can make a good BBQ flavoring, just need to know how to prepare it.

Thank you.

If I am in the wrong thread, please guide me and I will try not to disturb this subject again, thanks

A big tough muscle mass like a pork shoulder needs to be cooked slowly. I normally cook this in a smoker for about 2 hours a pound at 200-225. So a 9 pound butt takes around 18 hours. I look for an internal temp of 190 for pulled pork sammies.

It can also be done in a crock pot.

Low and slow is the key to this cut of meat.

Pulled pork is a process that takes a long time. It is fairly easy. You can do it in a pot with some flavored braising liquid. Make sure there is enough to almost cover the meat. It can be done in your oven on low, 220 to 250, for at leas 8 or more hours. You can add many different flavorings to the liquid. Garlic, onions, ketchup, cola, beer, Worcestershire sauce, or many other things depending on what you have or what you like. It is ready when it falls apart easily when pulled apart with a fork. Drain the liquid, and pull the meat apart when it is still hot. Add a bit of bbq sauce to your liking and Bob's your uncle.

This was posted a long time ago by the then Goodweed of the North, I believe. Season with salt and pepper. Heat upa a heavy pan until it screams (his words) and put 2 tbsp. of oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Brown all sides of the roast and rmove from the heat. throw the roast into a slow cooker with 1 coarsely chopped large yellow onion, and 3 cloves of minced garlic. Add 1/2 tsp. liqui9d smoke to 1/2 cup of water, stir together and pour evenly over the roast.Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours Remove from the cooker and pull. Serve on a roll with your bbq.sauce.

If you don't have a slow cooker. you can put it in the oven and cook it low and slow , say 300 degrees for 4-5 hours.

I like to do pulled pork true "Q" style on either a stick burner or the Egg. I also love doing a Cuban style pork roast as well.

Suggestion:

For the liquid,

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
After you pull the cooked meat out of the liquid, use a gravy separator to get rid of some of the grease (or not ...) it's up to you.

Shred the meat while it's still warm and mix the meat back into the cooking liquid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on its size, you can cut it in half, and freeze one part for another time, otherwise it makes a lot.

Kahlua Slow Cooked Pork
Makes 12-14 servings
5-6 pound pork butt roast
1 1/2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
1 1/2 tablespoons liquid smoke fla
1. Pierce the pork roast all over with the tip of a sharp knife. Place the roast in a large slow cooker and rub the salt all over the meat. Drizzle the liquid smoke over the meat.
2. Cover the slow cooker and cook on Low Heat for 16 to 20 hours, turning the roast over once half-way through the cooking time. Depending on how hot your low setting is on your slow cooker, you may or may not need the full 20 hours. When the meat easily shreds with a fork it is ready.
3. Remove the meat from the slow cooker, allow to cool until you can handle it, then shred with two forks, adding drippings from the slow cooker as needed to moisten the meat.
*Note: Don’t be tempted to add any additional liquid–you don’t need it. The fat in the roast will provide more than enough liquid. For this size of roast, you will need a 6-qt. slow cooker. If you have a smaller slow cooker, use a smaller roast and reduce the amount of the other ingredients accordingly.

I think this is one of a few recipes where liquid smoke works really well.

I usually fix my pork in a slow cooker, I season with salt,pepper,cumin to taste and about 1/8 cup of water. I then cook for 12/16 hrs, or more, then when we get to about 1/2 hour left I add a sweet bbq sauce and shred the meat with forks. We put the meat on buttered rolls of choice serve with cabbage cole slaw dressed with honey mustard and mayo some baked beans
kadesma

This is a very flavorful and succulent roast and a great alternative to pulled pork if you're interested.

Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder

1 Ea Pork Butt, 6 to 8 Lb.
[FONT=PC&#47749]⅓[/FONT] C Kosher salt
[FONT=PC&#47749]⅓[/FONT] C Light Brown Sugar
TT Ground Black Pepper
2-3 Tb Flour

Cut slits 1 inch apart in the fat cap of the roast, being careful not to cut into the meat. If the roast is boned, tie it with string to a uniform shape. Combine the salt and brown sugar in a bowl and rub it all over the pork shoulder and into the slits. Wrap the roast tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap, place it on rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.

Preheat the oven to 325º F.

Adjust an oven rack to the lowest position in the oven. Unwrap the roast and brush off any excess salt mixture. Season the roast with pepper. Place the roast onto a V-rack coated with nonstick cooking spray set in large roasting pan and add 1 quart of water to the roasting pan.

Cook the roast, basting it twice during cooking, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the roast, near but not touching any bone, registers 190º F, about 5 to 6 hours. Add water to the pan as needed to prevent its drying out.

Transfer the roast to a carving board and let it rest, loosely tented with foil, for 1 hour prior to carving.

To make a gravy, transfer the liquid in the roasting pan to a fat separator and let it stand.

Using 2-3 tablespoons of fat and an equal amount of flour, make a roux. Whisk in the defatted liquid from the roasting pan supplemented with chicken broth if necessary. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes to make the gravy.

Put the cooked meat in a roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet. Use two forks to grab and pull the meat apart. Continue until all is shredded.

Left overs are great to use in Posole, Carnitas, or Taco's Al Carbon.

The meat should be falling apart and the bone should pull out cleanly.

Make sure the meat is still warm when you pull it. I hand-pull mine but forks work well, too.

A big tough muscle mass like a pork shoulder needs to be cooked slowly. I normally cook this in a smoker for about 2 hours a pound at 200-225. So a 9 pound butt takes around 18 hours. I look for an internal temp of 190 for pulled pork sammies.

It can also be done in a crock pot.

Low and slow is the key to this cut of meat.

If done in a crock pot, but you still want that great smokey flavor, when the pork is done, and pulled, place it into the larges cast iron pan you can find. Fire up a covered charcoal grill and place mesquite, or fruit wood (cherry, apple, peach, etc) onto the hot coals. Place the pan on the grill above the bed of coals and wood, and shut the cover. Cook for ten minutes. Stir the meat and cover again for ten more minutes. Do to the great amount of surface area, the meat will pick up that great smoke flavor in a short time.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

i finally got around to posting my revised version of spicy carolina style pulled pork made in the crock pot.

i thought that i had posted it here many years ago, but i can't find it. nonetheless, i posted it on food.com years ago and it's gotten several 5 star reviews.

since then, i've tweaked it a bit to make it a little spicier.

so, here's another super easy idea for a pork shoulder: http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...lled-pork-recipe-for-the-crock-pot-85860.html

Last edited:
To the OP, I hope you tried the low and slow method method I got from Tyson, using 350° 45 minutes /# It comes out perfect every timre. Juicy and tender ! Please tell us how it came out !

Back
Top Bottom