What would you do with smoked ham skin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi. I just cut up the last of the smoked ham and froze the bone and some cubed meat. I have a couple big pieces of skin left. Not sure what to do with them. Will they make good cracklins'? I could roast them in the toaster oven or cook them in a skillet for a while. What do you think?

Attachments

• 2015-12-11 17.21.52.jpg
    2015-12-11 17.21.52.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
I can't copy and paste with this tablet, try Google Paula Deen homemade pork rinds. I have used her recipe and liked it.

Last edited:
Wow, either one sounds good! :LOL:

I have them in the toaster oven right now. The aroma is killing me. I swear I'm going to make porchetta one day, although there's just the two of us.

Hi. I just cut up the last of the smoked ham and froze the bone and some cubed meat. I have a couple big pieces of skin left. Not sure what to do with them. Will they make good cracklins'? I could roast them in the toaster oven or cook them in a skillet for a while. What do you think?

My mother would render the fat and make for some crispy treats to munch on. :angel:

Cut them up into 1/2" pieces, and season lentil or split pea soup with them. That's what my Mom did.

DH wanted to slice them first so we did that and put them in the toaster oven. They browned more quickly than I thought, but they're tasty - chewy rather than crispy.

The bone has some meat and skin still attached to it. When it gets colder, we'll make split pea soup with it.

Make red beans and rice using the skin (after rendering the fat) as a sub for the smoked ham hocks. Use some of the rendered fat to saute the veges (trinity).

Do you ever cook green beans the southern country way? Where they are cooked for hours with salt pork in them and they get that gray-green color. That would be a good sub for the salt pork. Not that I'd want them that way all the time anymore, but I'd forgotten how good they are until just recently.

Do you ever cook green beans the southern country way? Where they are cooked for hours with salt pork in them and they get that gray-green color. That would be a good sub for the salt pork. Not that I'd want them that way all the time anymore, but I'd forgotten how good they are until just recently.

I've had them that way but never made it. They are pretty good but I'm not sure DH would like them cooked that much.

I've had them that way but never made it. They are pretty good but I'm not sure DH would like them cooked that much.

I've always cooked green beans to just al dente. DH's Pennsylvania Dutch upbringing dictated that you cook the heck out of them, with some type of smoked meat fat, but now he likes them the way I do. The cooked to heck PD/Southern way is still really good though.

Last edited:
We normally cook green beans to just crisp tender too now, but I may make a batch soon since I was reminded of how good they are. I will admit though between all the vitamins pretty much being destroyed by the long cooking time and the salt pork adding all that salt, plus southern ladies usually add salt too, they aren't the healthiest of veges. I remember having to snap the beans as a child when my mom would make a huge batch for family get togethers.

Last edited:
My in-laws were surprised that me, A Dang Yankee none the less, knew how to cook green beans the Southern way. They were also surprised that I did more scratch cooking than from packages.

At least I was a surprise more than a disappointment. :angel:

I have never cut up a whole ham to have any skin left to worry about.
But I would assume from the picture, it would just get thrown away?
If its possible to get it crispy, that would be the route I would take.

Back
Top Bottom