Who here likes chitterlings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no problem, we're good. i know i wasn't explainng myself well.

and it's really your fault. you were supposed to read my mind...

:cool:

no problem, we're good. i know i wasn't explainng myself well.

and it's really your fault. you were supposed to read my mind...

:cool:

Well, let me put my "Swami" hat on and gaze into my crystal ball.....

I see raw fish in your life...and rice. Lots of tuna and salmon!

That'll be $2 for the reading....thanks!

As you know chitterlings very popular here in the south. But I've never eaten them. I've heard people using a potato in the pot to cut down on the smell...don't know though. I think they're just going to stink... My gradmother use to fry them but sorry, I couldn't tell you how they were... I didn't wont nobody's chit-ter-lings..

My dad use to eat all that stuff before he passed. Pigs feet, pig ears, pig oysters. I'm sure if you named it he ate it, lol.

most people that were adults during the depression are gone now (my parents were kids), but i'd bet many would talk fondly of chitlins if they could, and the peculiarity of that damn smell.

humility has no bottom when you have to provide for a family.

most people that were adults during the depression are gone now (my parents were kids), but i'd bet many would talk fondly of chitlins if they could, and the peculiarity of that damn smell.

humility has no bottom when you have to provide for a family.

I hear ya, Tom. My Dad was born in 1907 and my Mom in 1911. My Dad was the son of a very prominent Doctor, so hungar was never an issue in his life. My Mom was raised in an Orphanage, and knew some very hard times growing up. I studied and learned how to live off the land when I was pretty young, learning ways to prepare and cook insects and other foods that are not commonly eaten by westerners. I think it would be impossible for me to go hungry unless I was in the open sea with no means of catching a fish. Put me anywhere on land and I'll find lots of food. Most of it wont' be visually appealing, but surprisingly, most of it tastes pretty darn good when you're hungry.

I own two books on Entomophagy, and have tried many types of insects. Deep fried grasshoppers are my favorite. Very nutty and absolutely filled with protein. Remove the legs, as they can get caught in the throat, but that's it, beyond rinsing them well. Fry them crisp and salt them. Yum City!:chef::yum:

Last edited:
i think i could eat bugs if it were chunky enough, not too gooey, and you got rid of the spindly bits: legs, antennae, and such.

I hear ya, Tom. My Dad was born in 1907 and my Mom in 1911. My Dad was the son of a very prominent Doctor, so hungar was never an issue in his life. My Mom was raised in an Orphanage, and knew some very hard times growing up. I studied and learned how to live off the land when I was pretty young, learning ways to prepare and cook insects and other foods that are not commonly eaten by westerners. I think it would be impossible for me to go hungry unless I was in the open sea with no means of catching a fish. Put me anywhere on land and I'll find lots of food. Most of it wont' be visually appealing, but surprisingly, most of it tastes pretty darn good when you're hungry.

I own two books on Entomophagy, and have tried many types of insects. Deep fried grasshoppers are my favorite. Very nutty and absolutely filled with protein. Remove the legs, as they can get caught in the throat, but that's it, beyond rinsing them well. Fry them crisp and salt them. Yum City!:chef::yum:

Tim...is there anything that you "WON'T" eat??? LOL:LOL: OMG!! Now the image of someone eating grasshoppers with legs in the corners of their mouth will not leave my mind........eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think i could eat bugs if it were chunky enough, not too gooey, and you got rid of the spindly bits: legs, antennae, and such.
The favorite part of Tarantulas after frying them, is the abdomen. It's supposed to be very nutty flavored and gooey. That's one I have never tried yet. Crickets are great when fried, salted and a little bit of red pepper flakes added. Crunchy and delicious.

Tim...is there anything that you "WON'T" eat??? LOL:LOL: OMG!! Now the image of someone eating grasshoppers with legs in the corners of their mouth will not leave my mind........eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ha!:ROFLMAO:, you're supposed to remove the legs before cooking them! Otherwise, they can choke you.

If someone else will eat one before me while I watch, I'll eat anything they do. I've found some pretty interesting stuff that way.

I won't eat brains any more. I've eaten them in the past, but they have an outrageous amount of cholesterol in them, so I'll pass on them now.

I will eat most anything chitlins included(love em) but i draw the line at bugs. if i had to to survive thatd be one thing but as a snack no thanks. Now back to chitlins best way ive had them is rinsed out with a garden hose(the old style narrow nozzels work best) boiled in water,onions and garlic then thrown in a cast iron skillet(must be cast iron) and sauted with more onion and green peppers. serve with hot sauce. If you can cook them outside it wont stink up the house though your neighbors may not like you.

@ Vitauta: Callos a Las Madrileños

Good Morning Vitauta,

Madrid Tapas Bars prepare a spicy tasty renowned Tapa called:

Callos a Las Madrileñas which is actually Tripe ( organ meats ) in a Piquant Tomato Smoked Chili Pepper based thick sauce with lots of bread to soak up the fab sauce. It is quite delicious, in spite of fact that the name of the dish can be a turn-off ! Believe me, it is scrumptuous with a good red wine. There is one Restaurant we go to, Casa Domingo´s ( 1899 ) which is located at Calle Alcalá 99, across from Plaza de La Independencia and Retiro Park in the Capital which is renowned for this dish since 1899.

I am fully aware that Spaniards who are in the Pork Farming & Butchering Industries, where they have Pork Farms in the Castilla León provinces and in Andalusia, probably do eat Chitterings, though this British Word, is not used for this dish. There is a USA word, however, off top, cannot remember it ...

*** If you enjoy this dish of Chitterings, then, go for it lady !

I am sure that this sauce for the Callos which are Tripe, would work for the Chitterings.

*** I have a very good recipe for Callos which I could translate during the week, if you wish to try it. :yum:

Have a lovely Sunday.
Margi.

Last edited:
just an update on my chitlins' rant of some months ago for anyone who's interested: i finally had some chitlins' without having to clean or cook them myself some while after our little discussion here. it still surprises me that most of the people responding to this thread titled "who here likes chitterlings" and one where i was seeking a recipe, preferred to spend their time describing their loathing and disgust with everything to do with chitterlings.

there's this small local ma and pa deli/sandwich place nearby where i live. one day i walked in there to this horrible stench that could be nothing other than chitterlings cooking. the gray haired lady at the cash register was complaining loudly that she might not survive the day...well, i returned two hours later when the chitterlings were ready (spared the bad smell of them cooking the whole time) and got me two steaming plates to carry home, along lots of vinegar, hot sauce, and GREENS, he had even cooked some collards to go with his wonderful chitterling dish that day! were the gods smiling down on me or what? i pigged out on those soft chewy strips til i could no longer raise my fork to my mouth...i don't need chitterlings very often--but it's a rare and indescribable treat in my life of food delights that i always remember in my mind for a very looong time afterwards--that is, til the next time, of course.... ;)

Vitauta,

Pleased to hear about your hitting on this Mom & Pop find with hot sauce. Glad to hear you have enjoyed your chitterings.

Now, you should try CALLOS ( tripe in piquant sauce ).

Have nice Sunday.
Margi.

Vitauta,

Pleased to hear about your hitting on this Mom & Pop find with hot sauce. Glad to hear you have enjoyed your chitterings.

Now, you should try CALLOS ( tripe in piquant sauce ).

Have nice Sunday.
Margi.

yes, please margi, when you have the time, i would love your recipe for callos--thank you! i never know when that crazy yen for organ meats will strike again, but i look forward to it....:)

chitlins and greens inside at the same time?!? somebody has no sense of smell. about the vinegar would that be malt vinegar? Or some other type?

Good Afternoon Virauta,
I shall post the Callos a Las Madrileñas for you under Pork ( Tapas ) tomorrow as we have bank holidays here in Spain 1st through 5th ... It is a week long array of holidays, including Labor Day and Cinco de Mayo ... Shall do !

*** Note: these callos = tripe are tender tender morsels ... very nice, and not at all, dis-appetising ... Look like calamari however, they are tripe parts of either pork or veal.

Have nice Sunday ... Trying to upload some fotos now.
Margi.

Last edited:
just plain old distilled white vinegar is what i've always had with my chitlins'. is malt vinegar better, you think? to tell the truth, i've never been very experimental with my vinegars, and use them sparingly....

Good Afternoon Virauta,
I shall post the Callos a Las Madrileñas for you under Pork ( Tapas ) tomorrow as we have bank holidays here in Spain 1st through 5th ... It is a week long array of holidays, including Labor Day and Cinco de Mayo ... Shall do !

*** Note: these callos = tripe are tender tender morsels ... very nice, and not at all, dis-appetising ... Look like calamari however, they are tripe parts of either pork or veal.

Have nice Sunday ... Trying to upload some fotos now.
Margi.

margi, i do believe you may have aroused a sudden desire in me for some tender tripe, which i last tasted more than twenty years ago at a lovely little french bistro in georgetown. memorable. oh the many dangerous food temptations of this dc forum...ain't it grand tho?

ive never used vinegar of any kind i stick to hot sauce. Malt vinegar is popular here for fish doesnt quite have the bite of regular vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom