Why's pork your favourite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TooTall

Assistant Cook
Hey

Pig is the best meat. No question. Duck is a close second, beef is nice, lamb is lovely but pork will always win. What's your favourite thing to do with pork??? Braised shoulder? Home smoked bacon? Roasted belly? Just straight crackling??? Why pig?????

:)

Hey

Pig is the best meat. No question. Duck is a close second, beef is nice, lamb is lovely but pork will always win. What's your favourite thing to do with pork??? Braised shoulder? Home smoked bacon? Roasted belly? Just straight crackling??? Why pig?????

:)

Pork is my choice of meat for low and slow true BBQ. Wether it is Boston Butt, whole shoulder, ribs or whole hog. A full packer brisket for BBQ beef, whole turkey next and chicken last.

Some members would not agree with that statement lol!

I do though :)
I love pork! My favourite would have to be suckling pig cooked on a spit braai then Eisbein with crispy crackling, then Pork Belly slow roasted with tender juicy meat and crispy crackling, then good pork bangers with lots of hot German Mustard and homemade sauerkraut, then crispy smoked streaky bacon with soft poached eggs and potato hash browns, then Cabanossi grilled on the fire served with homemade sweet mustard sauce and and ..............................................

Second would be duck
Third would be lamb
Fourth would be Kudu
Fifth would be beef and chicken is not for me!

Last edited:
Pork is generally tender and moist with no fussing, takes up flavors well and there id such a huge spectrum of choices. Very versatile and PORK FAT RULES!

Pork is generally tender and moist with no fussing, takes up flavors well and there id such a huge spectrum of choices. Very versatile and PORK FAT RULES!

A whole nation of beautiful food was built on Manteca. Pork fat is the best.

Scrambled eggs on pork fat toast. A recipe that will melt any pork admirer. :)

Last edited:
While I don't think any meat will beat a good beef steak, I like pork on a whole because it's so versatile. So many different cuts, so easy to cook, makes excellent gravy, it doesn't care if it's smoked, baked or fried... And who ever thought of putting cubed beef in an omelette, or scalloped potatoes, or a pea salad? I mean, how many uses are there for ham alone?
Pork. The other white meat. Except for ham. Then it's the other pink meat :ermm:

Why pig?

I think Mother Elizabeth Goose of Boston might be partially to blame for planting the seed in so many young minds!

This little piggy went to market,
This little piggy stayed home,
This little piggy had roast beef,
This little piggy had none,
And this little piggy went wee wee wee all the way home.

I think the youngest one grew up and went to work for GEICO! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

a wonderful, magical animal!

Homer Simpson's Magical Animal - YouTube

i have to say that i'm partial to italian style pork sausages with extra fennel in tomato sauce, or pork brasciole, or sunday gravy with chunks of pork rib ends.

and then there's pulled pork, bbq pork ribs, ham, and last but not least, a good old blt, heavy on the b.

a wonderful, magical animal!

Homer Simpson's Magical Animal - YouTube

i have to say that i'm partial to italian style pork sausages with extra fennel in tomato sauce, or pork brasciole, or sunday gravy with chunks of pork rib ends.

and then there's pulled pork, bbq pork ribs, ham, and last but not least, a good old blt, heavy on the b.

Just straight bacon! What meal/sandwich/burger/ANYTHING isn't made better with bacon?!

Pulled pork roll, bread toasted in pork fat, with bacon, salsa negro and dill pickles. Done!

New question then, best pork on pork dishes??

If I was going to be limited to one meat for the rest of my life, I would choose pork. Everything but the squeal! It's delicious in every one of its different forms. Butt, shoulder, ham, loin, belly, ribs, cheeks, organs, lard, and more. Cured, smoked, grilled, slow roasted, baked. My mouth is watering.

I can't say pork is my favorite. It ranks maybe 4th on my list behind lamb, beef, and chicken. But I do love sausages and bacon, and occasionally we'll have ribs or shoulder (shoulder is a nice inexpensive cut when you have to feed a crowd). Ham is way down toward the bottom for me. The salt just doesn't agree with me. Unless it's something like prosciutto, I rarely eat it.

While I don't think any meat will beat a good beef steak, I like pork on a whole because it's so versatile. So many different cuts, so easy to cook, makes excellent gravy, it doesn't care if it's smoked, baked or fried... And who ever thought of putting cubed beef in an omelette, or scalloped potatoes, or a pea salad? I mean, how many uses are there for ham alone?
Pork. The other white meat. Except for ham. Then it's the other pink meat :ermm:
Once again we seem to have the same taste in food.

I like pork for its versatility. But, I have to say, my favorite red meat is venison. My favorite "white" meat is turkey. And, I do love lamb, but it is so expensive. Pork, on the other hand, is often reasonable, and because it is so versatile, that's what I buy.

If I could only eat one meat it would be beef. I'm glad I don't have to limit myself to just one though! I do love pork. As someone mentioned, ham goes so perfectly with so many things (scalloped potatoes, beans, potato salad, etc.). I love to cook up some chopped bacon and add it to green beans. A juicy tender pork roast with apple sauce is delicious! Country style pork ribs cooked on a bed of sauerkraut is one of my favorites. :yum:

I prefer to braise raw shoulders or sirloin, then separate into chunks and freeze them separately to use in various recipes. My current favorite use is to cut a chunk into a fairly fine dice and make my own version of chop suey.

Back
Top Bottom