With loins on sale--BIG DINNER..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
With loins on sale--BIG DINNER..for me...

Saturday night is my semi-annual dinner I cook for a club I belong to. Generally our socials are pretty simple dinners. When it's my turn in the kitchen I have been turning up the quality.

Last time I did the pork loin roulade with baked sweet potatoes. This time I am going for my Czech pork loin with dumplings, potatoes, carrots. A nice side salad, probably some cole slaw then cakes for desert (I can bake a cake, pastries are not a strong suit). Besides, I am cooking for up to 60 and will have enough to do with just the pork.

With the price of pork down right now, I am figuring cost on production for the entire meal to be under $2 per person. I should have no problem making a profit for the club at $6 per head..

We never know how many will show up. I have only goofed once and not had enough food. Never again... there will be leftovers. Oh, the meal I ran out.... Beef stew on Biscuits. 50 people ate two 18 qt roasters full to the brim of stew.. it was good ...

Last edited:
Dinner was a huge success. I cooked 3 whole loins... 38 people ate almost all of the meat. I had way too many potatoes and carrots but it's what fit in the pans when cooking the meat.... They also ate almost all my slaw--and I used a 5 lb bag of shredded cabbage... that's a lot of slaw..... The dumplings turned out just OK. We don't have a steamer, I steamed them on top of the roasting pans. A steamer would have made better dumplings.

The cakes--chocolate chocolate icing, spice with butter cream and lemon with lemon... Huge hit.

Financially, I made a profit for the club I was cooking for, and at $6 a head, that is not bad...

Back
Top Bottom