Years ago -side pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
Probably 20 yrs. ago I used to take slices of side pork season with fresh pepper, little garlic powder - roll this in cornmeal and fry slowly. My dh and myself loved it. Has anyone else every have this? We were talking about it the other night. Just wondering, maybe we were the only ones ! lol :-p

It was longer ago than 20 years, but I come from a pork-raising family (on my mother's side!) and yes, I sure do remember that! Yum! :)

My wife is from Panama and they like to take the pork skin that still has a little meat and fat on it and deep fry it. They call it chicharones. She puts hot sauce on it and serves it with rice. Not my favorite but she loves it.

ChefJune said:
It was longer ago than 20 years, but I come from a pork-raising family (on my mother's side!) and yes, I sure do remember that! Yum! :)
Iam going to have to look around to see if I can still find it sliced like bacon --- now Iam craving it ! lol

Yes, but just fried, not breaded. And it was "fresh" side meat--not cured. REALLY good!!

pork side

Iam going to have to look around to see if I can still find it sliced like bacon --- now Iam craving it ! lol

Barb,
It is a little drive for you, but I found it at Tanks Meats in Elmore, Ohio. I see you're in Monroe, so it's probably an hour from you.

sorry, my link doesn't work anymore.

it's the same cut as bacon, but not cured. fresh side belly pork.

i'm gonna have to look in the ethnic markets for it.

My wife is from Panama and they like to take the pork skin that still has a little meat and fat on it and deep fry it. They call it chicharones. She puts hot sauce on it and serves it with rice. Not my favorite but she loves it.

Yes indeed!!! Love fried pork skins, cracklins too. Open up a bag, shake plenty Louisiana Hot Sauce inside...Good Eats!!!!!!!!

BT you will have to check specialty/ethnic markets for fresh pork bellies!

Enjoy!

uncle bob, my first thought was the farmers market nearby, but then i remembered that most of the meat markets therein were halal, lol.

i'll have to check out the hispanic markets. they know good pork.

Probably 20 yrs. ago I used to take slices of side pork season with fresh pepper, little garlic powder - roll this in cornmeal and fry slowly. My dh and myself loved it. Has anyone else every have this? We were talking about it the other night. Just wondering, maybe we were the only ones ! lol :-p

Are you talking about Fresh side bacon(uncured bacon??). I love this stuff. Flour and fry until crispy. Makes a terrific sandwich. Just make sure you cut off the rind first..

Back
Top Bottom