Osso Buco Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
In response to a request in another thread, here's my version of this classic recipe.

Osso Buco Milanese

¼ C Olive Oil
4 Veal Shanks
½ C Flour, or more as needed
3 Tb Butter
½ C Onion, diced
C Carrot, diced
C Celery, diced
½ tsp Garlic, minced
2 Ea Lemon Peel Strips
½ C White Wine
¼ C Beef Broth
¼ C Water
¾ C Tomato, chopped
tsp Thyme
1 Bay Leaf
2 Parsley Sprigs
1 Oz Dry Porcini Mushrooms
TT S&P

Preheat the oven to 350º F.

Add the oil to the pot and heat it. Tie each veal shank with string. Dust the shanks with flour, shaking off any excess. Place the shanks into the pot in one layer. Brown the shanks deeply all over. Remove to a plate, drain excess oil from the pot.

Melt the butter and sweat the onion, carrots and celery on medium for 6-7 minutes.

Add the garlic and lemon peel and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

Add the wine and deglaze the pot, reducing the wine by half.

Return the shanks to the pot along with any accumulated juices.

Heat the broth and water and add it to the pot along with the tomato, thyme, bay leaf, parsley, mushrooms, salt and pepper. The liquid should come two thirds of the way up the side of the shanks. If it does not, add more broth and water.

Bring the liquid to a simmer, cover and place into the lower half of the oven. Turn and baste the shanks every 20 minutes. Cook for 1½ to 2 hours or until the shanks are very tender and a creamy dense sauce has formed.

When the shanks are done, remove them to a platter and reduce the sauce, if necessary, to thicken. Remove the strings before serving.

Dang, this looks good, Andy! Am thinking I will search the local Fareway, they might have the veal shanks.

Thank you for the wonderful recipe, Andy! Just reading it made my mouth go completely insane!:pig:

I wonder if the browning were done and the sauteing were done using conventional methods like you describe, if finishing in a crock-pot for about 4-6 hours would work?:idea:

Last edited:
This recipe is going on my list of members' recipes to make.

And fatty I imagine. At least for the short ribs. It would still be a good dish though.
I'm going to hold out for the veal myself.
It's kind of odd, for all the veal farms around here, I never see any at the stores, but I'll bet Wegmans carries it.

Am thinking I will go for the real deal too. We will be at Costco over Thanksgiving. Surely they will have veal shanks there. We bring a big cooler.

Last edited:
Veal shank here has gotten pricey. Near the price of good steak. I was looking for alternatives, and have used these. I have not seen beef shank in the stores here for a while, but I would use them if I could find them.

Walmart here carries lamb shank at a reasonable price. I've not seem veal or lamb shank at Costco.

Bigjim68 said:
Veal shank here has gotten pricey. Near the price of good steak. I was looking for alternatives, and have used these. I have not seen beef shank in the stores here for a while, but I would use them if I could find them.

Walmart here carries lamb shank at a reasonable price. I've not seem veal or lamb shank at Costco.

Drat.

Don't be discouraged. Costco and other outlets may carry it in colder weather months. You can always ask your butcher or meat department manager to order it for you.

Although my market carries them sometimes, I get meatier ones from a local butcher. Sometimes I have to buy a frozen six-pack.

Last edited:
Another Milanese beautiful classic! Thanks again Andy.

I can feel in my mouth the awesome taste of the marrow extracted from the bones... :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:

PS I really need a cow emoticon instead of those pigs...

Last edited:

That seems to happen every time a cut of meat gains a bit of popularity. Even neck bones are expensive these days, in the overall scheme of things. Was looking for a boneless breast of veal a while back, and no one had a clue what I was talking about. Mom used to buy one a couple of times a winter and stuff it with her excellent bread stuffing. It was really tasty cheap eats.

Andy's version of Osso Buco is the traditional one. Here's another that's a little different. No tomato.

Braised Veal Shanks with Onion Sauce

”Osso Buco for the lady?” The line (from some old movie) is a family joke between my sister and I, but it¹s inspired yet another opulent main course for a “company dinner.” This recipe is adapted from one by another of my Italian cooking teachers, Giuliano Bugialli. It¹s a little different than you might expect ­ there are no tomatoes!

6 servings

6 large red onions, peeled
6 veal shanks cut into 1 ½-inch slices (with bone and marrow)
4 bay leaves
3 large garlic cloves peeled, left whole
3 whole cloves
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup unbleached flour
½ cup dry white wine
grated rind of 1 lemon
2 cups chicken or beef stock, heated
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
pinch of nutmeg

Grémolata:
4 fresh sage leaves
the leaves from 15 sprigs of Italian parsley
1 small clove garlic
grated rind of 1 (additional) lemon

1. Using your Cuisinart fitted with the 2 mm slicing blade, slice the onions. Soak them for ½ hour in a bowl of cold water.

2. Tie each piece of meat around the sides with string. Make a bouquet garni of the bay leaves, garlic and cloves and tie it up with cheesecloth.

3. Melt 4 tablespoons butter with the oil in a deep-sided sauté pan over medium heat. When butter is completely melted, drain onions and add to sauté pan. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the onions to a baking dish, leaving juices in the pan. Add remaining butter and melt it. NOW, lightly flour veal shanks on both sides but not on the edges. Add veal shanks to hot butter mixture. Sauté until golden brown on each sides (about 3 minutes per side). Add wine and let it evaporate (about 2 minutes).

4. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Arrange meat in a single layer over the onions in the baking dish. Sprinkle the lemon rind (1 lemon only) over the meat, then pour the warmed stock in, and add the remaining sauce from the sauté pan. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Put bag of herbs in the baking dish. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Shake dish 3 or 4 times while cooking (don’t remove cover!] to keep meat from sticking.

5. Finely chop parsley, sage and garlic together on a board, and transfer to a small bowl. Add grated lemon rind and mix.

6. Transfer veal shanks to a warm serving platter. Remove strings and cover to keep warm.

7. Discard bag of herbs and pass onion sauce from the baking dish through a food mill (medium hole) into a saucepan. Put saucepan over medium heat. Taste for salt and pepper and cook about 20 minutes to thicken.

While sauce is cooking, prepare the Risotto Milanese

To serve, sprinkle Grémolata over each serving. Serve with the risotto.
Wine Tip: This luscious dish deserves a comparable wine. Choose a Barbaresco with a little age, if your budget will allow it.
and here's the risotto that goes with the Osso Buco.

Risotto alla Milanese

Regardless of what you may have read or heard elsewhere, there is really no shortcut to making an excellent risotto. It will always take you twenty minutes from the time you start the cooking process until you bring it to the table. If you have ever eaten an excellent risotto, you will know that it is worth the time and patience it takes. The object is to create a creamy and voluptuous dish while the core of the rice remains resistant to the tooth. There are as many varieties of risotto as you can possibly think of, but this one is the classic accompaniment to Osso Buco.

makes 6 servings

6 1/2 cups chicken or beef broth
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots or onion
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups raw Arborio rice
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Sea salt, if necessary

1. Bring the broth to a slow steady simmer.

2. Put the shallots in a heavy pan with 3 tablespoons of the butter and all the oil and sauté over medium-high heat until translucent but not browned.

3. Add the rice and stir until it is well coated. Sauté lightly then add 1/2 cup of the simmering broth. Proceed according to basic risotto direction, adding 1/2 cup broth as the rice dries out, and stirring very frequently to keep it from sticking. If you run out of broth, use water.

4. When the rice is almost done, add the saffron, all the grated cheese and the remaining butter. Mix well. Taste and correct for salt. Remember, when the cooking nears the end, not to add too much broth at one time. The risotto should be creamy but not runny. Serve immediately, with additional grated cheese on the side, if desired.

Teacher’s Tips: 1. This risotto is good enough to be “supper” all by itself. Simply toss a salad of peppery greens, and choose a crisp Pinot Grigio.
2.Leftover risotto makes delicious rice cakes.

Last edited:
That seems to happen every time a cut of meat gains a bit of popularity. Even neck bones are expensive these days, in the overall scheme of things. Was looking for a boneless breast of veal a while back, and no one had a clue what I was talking about. Mom used to buy one a couple of times a winter and stuff it with her excellent bread stuffing. It was really tasty cheap eats.

I agree. Skirt and flank steak used to be low priced. Even corned beef was really cheap eats for a long time. Same for lots of fish. ...and, of course, chicken wings.

Another Milanese beautiful classic! Thanks again Andy.

I can feel in my mouth the awesome taste of the marrow extracted from the bones... :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:

PS I really need a cow emoticon instead of those pigs...

Here's one for you from a free-icon-site. Maybe the Mods can save it for use:

Attachments

• CowIcon.png
    CowIcon.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom