Who cares about veal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kb0000

Washing Up
Not much activity here, which makes a lot of sense given the awful quality of USA veal. We vacation a lot in EU and veal is my go to dinner (except in Italy where the veal is worse than USA, but that's another story). The only way you will ever experience why veal is a famous meat is to go to the EU and try it, preferably in FR, DE, or AU. A properly done Austrian Wiener schnitzel is a rare treat, impossible to make with US veal. There is a famous country western song about Lukenbach TX. Some years ago Lukenbach decided to gift a free big time country western concert to the most miserable American city they could find. They correctly picked Lima, OH, but here is the odd thing. The best veal dishes I ever came across in USA were at the Milano Club in Lima, OH.

I had my first Wiener Schnitzdl when living in Germany and I fell in love.
Here, I cannot afford veal in any shape or form.
I make what I call the "Poor man's Wiener Schnitzel" using either pork or chicken. Works for me!

I love veal and order it when its on the menu.
I can't speak to EU veal vs US veal as the veal I have had was from well.....I don't know.
But it was damn good.
Our grocery store has veal and its no more expensive than prime steak. In fact the scallopini is reasonable.

Thanks for posting this kb. I will pick up a small pack of veal next time I'm in the store.
Now I need a good veal scallopini recipe.

Back
Top Bottom