12 pound whole goat, I need some help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rastabird92

Assistant Cook
I bought a whole 12 pound goat today. I plan on cutting it at the spine, just under the ribs to seperate the lower legs from the top half with the full ribs. I would like to roast the whole bottom half of the goat (This would basically just be the two hind legs connected). I really want to use some sort of mediterranean recipe. I would like it to be well done, but still moist and tender. I have seen it done with whole lambs in ovens, I would like to try it with a bottom half of a goat. Can anybody help me on figuring out a good middle eastern recipe and how I should roast it?

Thank you!

-Sam

Hi Sam,

I can give you some notes I have on roasting goat leg, from animals older than what you have.

Place roast on rack in open roast pan. Rub on olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place crushed garlic cloves in shallow slits in leg.

Pre-heat oven to 400*F to 425*F. Place roasts in oven for 15 to 20 minutes at high heat. reduce heat to 325*F (times may be shorter for your younger, smaller animal)

For a 5 pound leg roast, I removed the shank and cooked it with the roast, removing it when it was done. Used the above seasonings and temperatures, added vegetables, BBQ sauce and pear butter and roasted the 5 pound leg for 3 hours at 325*F (after initial higher heat).

Good luck!

I think you might have better luck getting even cooking if you separate the legs and lay them side by side. This baby should be very tender, young as it is, so don't over cook.

Other than that, I got nothin'. :)

Except that I wish I was coming for dinner.

Last edited:
I treat kid like lamb, I would use the legs or shoulders for this dish, put small deep slits in the meat, stuff the slits with garlic slivers, salted anchovy pieces and sprigs of rosemarry leave in a cool place for 24 hrs. In a roasting tin make a bed of onions, garlic, carrots, parsnips, put you meat on top, place large whole pots around, squeeze two lemons over meat and season with pepper and three glugs of olive oil, cover with silver paper and roast in a very low oven for 6 hrs or more,remove silver paper crank up the oven to max and brown meat and spuds. The meat will fall off the bone.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody! At the last minute though, I decided to roast the whole top half and save the bottom half another time for some "rogan josh." It is in the oven now and should take a couple of hours. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Sam

I bought a whole 12 pound goat today. I plan on cutting it at the spine, just under the ribs to seperate the lower legs from the top half with the full ribs. I would like to roast the whole bottom half of the goat (This would basically just be the two hind legs connected). I really want to use some sort of mediterranean recipe. I would like it to be well done, but still moist and tender. I have seen it done with whole lambs in ovens, I would like to try it with a bottom half of a goat. Can anybody help me on figuring out a good middle eastern recipe and how I should roast it?

Thank you!

-Sam

Down here in far south Texas we are not getting the ittie bitties that you describe. We are now getting the huge boer goats. The bucks can go over 400 lbs.. That being said, the easiest way I know to prepare the goat is to put foil in a pan, season the goat, put a few slices of good hickory smoked bacon criss crossed over it, maybe a few rings of onion, etc. Now seasoning is up to you, but I might use a little basil, thyme, marjoram,or whatever suits you. A very small amount of water in the pan. Then I cover with foil and bake on the outside grill, at very low heat for about three to five hours, till it falls off the bone. Oh. I also prepare it on a bed of potatoes, sometimes, yum.

Like Bolas; However, I would rub with lard or olive oil & spices

Yes, I would treat like a traditional lamb roast --- prior to roasting; I would rub with manteca de cerdo ( pork lard ) or olive oil and fresh and dry herbs; oregano, parsley, thyme, rosemary ... I would employ white wine -- or red wine ...

Margi.

You are lucky to have goat, its quite hard to find where I live (in the north west of England).
Just for a future suggestion, what about Goat Curry. I first discovered this on holiday in Jamaica and its delicious.
I don't know if you have heard of Levi Roots but he has some great Jamaican recipes, including Goat Curry, I could find you a link or post up the recipe if you would like to try it. I have to make it with lamb, still delicious. Its one of my favourite curries.

@ Gravy Queen: Castilla La Mancha, Spain

Good Morning Gravy Queen,

Castilla La Mancha, Spain has quite a " kid " culture ... It is normally roasted, in the same way a lamb ( lechal or lechazo ) is ... Either with a pork lard called manteca de cerdo or olive oil with herbs ...

I have not had goat curry however, I have had roasted kid which is Cabra Manchega Asada which is renowned in Jadraque, Guadalajara (famed for its´castle and shepherds) province ( 60 km from Madrid ) and it is divine ...

Have nice wkend. Thanks for posting.
Margi Cintrano.

Oh, I am so looking forward to seeing what others come up with. I've had goat a few times, and have to say, wasn't fond of it, and I like most gamy meats. I think it was a couple of times in Vietnamese dishes (more marinated and grilled) and once in an African preparation (more stewed, with peanuts). Where do you live that you bought a goat?

This reminds me of the time that a friend called me (we were in Hawaii at the time) and said, "Claire, I can't stand it any more! My husband brought home a pig again." The said feral pig had been properly butchered, and was still warm. (feral pigs can be a big problem on pacific islands). My parents were visiting, and were quite amused when I took the pig and tossed it in the freezer. (actually, it was a half, and I think I halved that before freezing it).

This was a number of years ago, and I think some applies. By now you've already done ... but for anyone reading, I slow-cooked the front half, picked it, and made barbecue sandwiches (and threw a party). The hind I made kabobs with, then stewed the bones (as with the front) and made stock for something.

It was a number of years ago (that number coming close to 30).

This reminds me of the time that a friend called me (we were in Hawaii at the time) and said, "Claire, I can't stand it any more! My husband brought home a pig again." The said feral pig had been properly butchered, and was still warm. (feral pigs can be a big problem on pacific islands).

There are two kinds of places in the world, places where feral hogs are an enormous problem and places where they will be a problem in the future. In Texas they are everywhere and in huge numbers. A state biologist said it best, "The feral hog typically has a litter of eight, of which twelve survive." My next door neighbor woke up one night and counted 65 in his two acre yard. He built a trap and began keeping the little ones in a pen and fattening them.

One time, the trap was found tripped each morning. He installed a game camera. It was being tripped by a huge hog, to big that he could just get his head in the trap.

Do you like Mexican chorizo? It was originally made with goat.

2 pounds ground goat
4 cloves mashed garlic
6 Tbs chili powder

2 Tbs oregano
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs water
2 Tbs vinegar
1½ tsp sugar

1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt

1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp fresh ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, divide into quarters, roll each quarter into a log, and tightly wrap each log with plastic wrap, twisting the ends to secure. If you like it mild, use Ancho chili powder, if you like it spicy, use New Mexico chili powder

I've never cooked goat, and the feral pig I mentioned had no gamy flavor at all (heck, would you taste gamy if you lived in paradise?), whereas the goat I've eaten was domestic and very strong.

I find strong meat takes well to chilies (of any sort, Tex-Mex, Cincinnatti, NM green), curries (as already mentioned) and stroganof. Recipes with a lot of spices and herbs, cooked low and slow in liquid (braising, stewing, crock-pot)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom