Best way to cook lamb shank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pippachalk

Assistant Cook
It is my partner's birthday on Sunday and I have a couple of lamb shanks from our butcher in the freezer. It's been a while since I cooked them and can't decide on the best method. I have a sous vide, slow cooker, pressure cooker or ordinary oven. Access to most ingredients. I'm not adverse to starting prepping or cooking a few days in advance, just want it to be as tasty as possible! Any tips and pros/cons of any cooking methods welcome!

Another option is to cut the lamb leg against the grain into thin strips, then marinate the strips in a combination of rice wine vinegar, corn starch, onion, garlic, and curry powder, thinned with water to make a slurry. Let the meat sit in the marinade for 20 minutes. Poach the meat in hot, but not boiling water, or 300 degree oil. When the corn starch coating turns opaque, the meat is done. Use it with polenta, couscous, or in pita pockets, as you woul in a gyro. This technique is called velveting and makes an amazingly tender meat. It's usually used in Asian dishes and works equally well with poultry, beef, pork, or lamb.

Just another idea, something a little different.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom