Goat, Lamb's Cousin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erehweslefox

Sous Chef
OK didn't quite know where to put this, obviously no goat forum. I really didn't think it belonged in game, so lamb was close. I feel most people cook goat similar to mutton.

Started a couple months ago to go to a different butcher, who gets all kinds of fun stuff. (we are in Hatfield, PA, btw, and they get stuff directly from Hatfield Meats, a big PA meat concern if you are in Eastern PA you probably know them for their scrapple). They do get some fun stuff in for a vibrant immigrant community here, lots or Egyptian Coptics, Pakistani, and Indians, so, long story short, I have two and a half pounds of cubed goat shoulder.

Low and slow I'm thinking, probably a curry (my Beloved Wife remembers fondly goat curry growing up in DC and requested it as a dish I could learn). So, given that Brits take thier curry rather serious, I'm starting with this recipe.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2369636/goat-curry

Any pointers for anyone that is familliar with this ingredient? I am debating whether to slow cook it in the cast iron dutch oven, or put it in the pressure cooker. Leaning to the dutch, as I work a morning shift on Tuesday, and Beloved Wife isn't home until seven or eight, which gives me time to cook it at 300 or so for a long while, and thus tweak the spicing periodically.

Any thoughts?

Yrs,

Todd (E-F)

Kambing means goat in the Indonesian, Pilipino and Malay languages. If you do a Google search for KAMBING you will find a multitude of interesting recipes. My personal favorite is kalderetang kambing na may pinya (goat stew with pineapple).

When you go to the Caribbean or the Bahamas (contrary to popular belief, the Bahamas are in the Atlantic, not the Caribbean), if you see curry mutton on a menu, most of the time it is goat. Goats are easy and relatively inexpensive to raise, eat almost anything, and thus are one of the most widespread domesticated farm animals around the world, particularly in low income regions. Nobody seems to have a religious taboo about goat.

I had curry goat often at our hangout in the Bahamas - good food.

I used to butcher and process milk fed pasture raised kid goat. I never curried such a beast. I felt the closest meat to what I was cooking, was veal. One of my favorite dishes was a Korean bulgogi, usually made with the tenderloin. You can't beat a goat burger though. You need to add a fat, usually olive oil, to the ground meat along with onion, garlic, s&p. Roasted goat leg is good too.

And it is not true that goats will eat almost everything. They are browsers, just like deer.

https://www.weedemandreap.com/what-do-goats-eat/

And it is not true that goats will eat almost everything. They are browsers, just like deer.

https://www.weedemandreap.com/what-do-goats-eat/

I've watched goats grazing on grass and eating weeds in what is otherwise a horse pasture here in Colorado, and I've watched them eating just about anything they could get in their mouths around when we lived in the Bahamas. They may prefer browsing, but they will eat just about anything that grows.

you are way too brave. Though I have to say the best shish kebab I ever ad was from goat. Though that goat was slaughtered right there on the spot.

OK, so it went better than I expected. My Beloved Wife grew up around some very good Indian, Middle Eastern, and Pakistani restaraunts in DC. This was an unfamilliar ingredient, and a set of spices that isn't my normal wheelhouse. Here is how the recipe came out.

Goat Curry, Hatfield PA style

1.5 lbs goat, trimmed and cubed
1 large onion chopped more finely than I usually chop it up
4 oz grated fresh ginger
10 cloves garlic, peeled and grated fine
1 handful fresh curry leaves
4 sprigs thyme
four scotch bonnet peppers, finely diced
4 tbsp curry powder
about 2 oz vegetable oil
10 oz stock (hobson't choice on the stock, I think given the spices in this whether Chx, Beef, vege, or just water, doesn't matter a lot. I used beef because I had it. You basically need some liquid)
one can black beans, not drained
2 cans Ro-Tel tomatoes, drained
1 big lemon, or 1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tsp corriander
1 tsp sea salt

Rice and flatbread to serve

Mix the diced onion, grated garlic, and grated ginger. Cook in the vegetable oil and 2 oz of stock or whatever liquid you are using until soft on medium high heat in a skillet. About five minutes.

Add Peppers, salt, curry leaves, thyme, curry powwder, and salt, stirring well, until fragrant.

Add to cubed goat, tomatoes, and stock in either a dutch oven or pressure cooker. Stir

I went with the pressure cooker on this, and cooked for an hour at pressure. I can see doing it in my dutch oven, at which case I would go for 400 degrees in a preheated oven for about three hours.

Add beans to warm. maybe 2-5 minutes

Add lemon juice, and corriander., stir well.

Let sit for five minutes.

Serve over rice with flatbread on the side.

I was worried the goat would be either tough or gamey. It turned out to be neither. I strongly suggest fresh curry leaves, this blew away any other curry powder based curry I have attempted, the leaves and the thyme really pulled it together. Now that I have a source of fresh curry leaves, I really think it is going to be a common ingredient, they are awesome, spicy and unami, but also really vegetative tasting.

I think beans aren't a traditional curry recipe staple, though I do see them in some recipes. I wanted to add them in as I felt it was getting soupy, and I needed some starch to firm it up, and carry the lemon juice a bit.

I like my curry spicy. Scotch bonnets are pretty frisky, you can cut them down to two or use poblanos, or even jalapenos.

This recipe on ingredients, and flavor mix was a reach for me. Preparation, was in my wheelhouse, not much different than a chilli or stew. I do like it when I can get a good result from a reach recipe.

This one I am keeping. If you come across some goat, and some curry leaves in the same week, let me know how it turns out.

Best,

Todd (E-F)

Haven't come across goats being reared for meat in this part of the world. They're raised for milk. Good to hear the meat doesn't taste gamey.

Gillian

Cabrito is very popular in the Mexican immigrant communities here. Cabrito is young goat -- less than a year old, as I understand it. Think of it as you would lamb vs mutton.

I've had cabrito, and it was very good. I didn't cook it. It was cooked kind of like a stew, that we ate in flour tortillas. Corn tortillas, I was told, don't hold up to cabrito prepared that way. I'm not in anyway an expert, and the cooks were Mexican immigrants, so I'll take their word for it.

There is a Mexican meat market about 15 miles from me that carries cabrito. I have it on my someday to-do list to get some and cook it up for tacos.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom