Ideas for lamb loin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ljewell

Assistant Cook
:huh: Could use some ideas..My husband purchased a lamb loin from a catalog, we would like to grill it for dinner tonight, I have a Weber gas grill with a spit.
I don't cook lamb very often, I usually do it with rosemary, garlic, lemon. Does anyone have some other ideas?? And maybe some sides?? Some grilled fingerling potatoes with blue cheese?? Thanks for your input! Linda

This I can help with. I love me some lamb. But you gotta be more descript.

Are you looking to cut it up into chops or leave it whole? I'd recommend cutting it up, but some people like to use it as a roast.

Hi,
I think whole as a roast. I have roasted garlic and fresh rosemary. Stuff it?
What's your idea.
Thanks for your reply!
Linda

You can use the same method even though you're not using racks.

Grilled Herb-Garlic Marninated Rack of Lamb with Fig-Balsamic Syrup and Cranberry Honey

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:

2 full Lamb Racks, frenched and trimmed of fat
2/3 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cloves Fresh Garlic
1 Tbsp. Fresh Rosemary
2 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme
1 Tbsp. Fresh Flat Leaf or Regular Parsley
2 c. store bought Fig Infused Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tbsp. White Sugar
1/4 c. store bought Cranberry Honey (or whatever honey you have)
Kosher Salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper

Method:

In a food processor or blender, combine the oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and parsley. Pulse until incorporated, then in a ziplock bag or shallow marinating dish, pour the mixture over the lamb and massage onto surface of the meat. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight. In a sauce pan, add the vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil. Bring the heat down to a simmer, and reduce the vinegar until it becomes thick and syrupy. You should have about 1/3 c. remaining if it's properly reduced. Remove from heat and keep warm. Prepare grill. Remove the lamb from the fridge and marinade and let it sit for 15 minutes at room temp. Grill lamb to desired doneness (but no more than medium). Drizzle the fig-balsamic syrup and the honey over and around the lamb and serve.

Now that sounds wonderful. Never tried honey and balsamic on lamb, the sweetness to contrast with lamb,wow. I only have regular balsamic and honey on hand,guess that will be O.K. I have everything else.
That's a winner. Can't wait to try it. Putting on the apron now.
Thanks so much,
Linda

Hope you enjoy it. Just becareful when grilling the loin. Depending on how big it is, you don't want the temp. on the grill too high because the outsides will burn before the lamb is cooked through.

The loin in marinating, smells good. Will do med grill temp. Do you get fig infused balsamic on line? I've never looked for it. Wanted to grill fingerling potatoes with blue cheese, I tried three grocery stores, no luck. Will have to go with regular spuds. Will let you how it turns out. Thanks again...Linda

Honey and balsamic is a good one. Cherries work real well too (personally my preference). Since ya already have it marinating, this won't do you much good now, but if you ever get another one...try this:

3 cup cherries, pitted out. DO NOT use the canned cherries.
8 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 cups red wine
2 cups port
2 tablespoon brown sugar
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped

Mix the cherries, vinegar, wine, port, sugar, oil and cilantro together in a bowl. 2Place the loin into a sealable 2 gallon plastic bag and pour the marinade overtop. Place in the refrigerator for 4 hours.

Fire up the grill to 350 degrees

Remove loin from the fridge for the last 30 minutes to bring it up to room temperature Remove the loin from the marinade and set the marinade aside for later. Pat the loin dry. Season the loin with kosher salt and pepper.

Place marinade in sauce pan and cook over medium low heat until it thickens and reduces to approximately two cups.

Place loin on bbq and grill to 155 degrees. Let rest for 10 minutes after removing from heat

Baste loin with marinade once loin is almost cooked.

ljewell said:
The loin in marinating, smells good. Will do med grill temp. Do you get fig infused balsamic on line? I've never looked for it. Wanted to grill fingerling potatoes with blue cheese, I tried three grocery stores, no luck. Will have to go with regular spuds. Will let you how it turns out. Thanks again...Linda

I infuse my own using dry figs, but you can buy it at most specialty stores like Williams Sonoma or even many grocery stores have it now.

Also, you probably figured it out but I forgot to put it in the original recipe: Season the loin with salt and pepper just before you place it on the grill.

Lamb loin

:-p The lamb was Ohlala! Perfectly done, so tender, and the demi-glaze yummy. Now I can't wait to do another. I'll try the sour cherry recipe next time. Cherries come in here in July, from a local farm. I got the loin from Summerfield Farms, Culpepper Va. Pricey but worth it. $50. for 1.25# loin.
Thanks for all the ideas!
Linda

ljewell said:
:-p The lamb was Ohlala! Perfectly done, so tender, and the demi-glaze yummy. Now I can't wait to do another. I'll try the sour cherry recipe next time. Cherries come in here in July, from a local farm. I got the loin from Summerfield Farms, Culpepper Va. Pricey but worth it. $50. for 1.25# loin.
Thanks for all the ideas!
Linda

Glad you enjoyed it. If you ever do it again, really try and find the fig infused balsamic. It gives an added dimension. Otherwise, reduce 1/4 c. of dry figs per every cup of regular balsamic when making the syrup. But I think it's cheaper to buy the already infused one. Dry figs can be pricey depending on where you're located.

Back
Top Bottom