Lamb chops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman1

Senior Cook
Lamb is becoming my red meat of choice, and I am trying to keep it to ounce a week, and then salmon or some other fish ounce a week and then salads or whatever the rest of the week. I think it is chops that i eat, yeah, cause I know what a rack of lamb is and what I am getting dosent have that bone.
I rub it with olive oil, sprinkle some essence on it, and I've tried putting it in my grill pan on top of the stove and grilling it, but i am finding that putting in the stove and broiling it gives a better result. I know this is all wrong, especially the essence part, but essence I have cause DW cooks chicken with it. And I was hungery. And then I got used to it. I'll do better. :oops: I'll go down to the meat section and talk about my trials and errors with my reciepes from my new cookbooks. I'll be a good discusscooking devotee :D

vilasman1 said:
Lamb is becoming my red meat of choice, and I am trying to keep it to ounce a week, and then salmon or some other fish ounce a week and then salads or whatever the rest of the week. I think it is chops that i eat, yeah, cause I know what a rack of lamb is and what I am getting dosent have that bone.
I rub it with olive oil, sprinkle some essence on it, and I've tried putting it in my grill pan on top of the stove and grilling it, but i am finding that putting in the stove and broiling it gives a better result. I know this is all wrong, especially the essence part, but essence I have cause DW cooks chicken with it. And I was hungery. And then I got used to it. I'll do better. :oops: I'll go down to the meat section and talk about my trials and errors with my reciepes from my new cookbooks. I'll be a good discusscooking devotee :D

Emerill Lagasse is now posting on Discuss Cooking!

But seriously, if you're using lamb chops, lamb loin, or lamb racks, then either method should give you decent results, as long as you don't cook the lamb past medium. Flash grilling or searing however, will allow you to create a better crust while controlling the doneness of the lamb, especially if you want it more on the rare side. Roasting the lamb is fine, provided if it is at a lower temperature (say 325 F), but you still won't get the deep golden brown color that you get from using high heat the sear the surfaces of the meat. Instead of rubbing the lamb with the oil and spices before you cook it, let the meat marinate in it for at least 2-3 hours. Try using fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary as well, and fresh garlic. And get rid of the essence. Please.

you have helped me so much, I love the crust i get on lamb and yeah you still want to be able to eat it when you get through.
Whats flash grilling? Searing i think i can find in one of my cook books

I used to get the small chops and marinate in dry red wine with slivered garlic cloves and thinly sliced onions, then over the coals or now that I do not have a BBQ, on my cast iron grill pan. If I have time I put the marinade into a saucepan and reduce to 1/2 and at the last minute add butter to thicken. MMMMMgood. You say ounce of lamb do you mean ounce or once a week? An ounce of meat is not much. I weight my protein and eat 4-1/4 ounces at my dinner meal.

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS GET ARIZONA STATE :twisted:

once a week, I too will have to do it in a cast iron grill pan, I have never cooked with alcohol before ,this will be an adventure
Sometime next week, right now i have left o
vers to eat

vilasman1 said:
Ok, so give me a step by step on pan searing

1. Place skillet or saute pan on burner and turn to high.
2. Add about 2-3 Tbsp. of oil to the pan, and heat until lightly smoking.
3. Add meat to pan, and quickly sear until desired color is achieved, but do NOT touch or move the meat until it's time to turn over, or to the next side to sear (about 45 seconds - 1 minute). Reduce heat and/or transfer to oven to complete cooking to desired doneness.

Back
Top Bottom