Lamb cutlets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
How long would you fry them for is 5 minutes on each side ok .

Also do you need to cook it with oil .

Thank you

a cutlet is not very thick so quick cooking is in order. not more than a couple minutes per side. Yes I would use a little olive oil flavored with a smashed garlic clove and a few sprigs of rosemary (saute the aromatics for a minute then take them out then put in the cutlets.) Make sure you season beofre cooking with salt and pepper.

with all due respect to robo, and i mean that, i think i'll scream if someone says put rosemary and garlic on lamb. :chef:

i like thin cuts of lamb really plainly fried (in just a touch of evoo in a non-stick pan), or even breaded milanese style. let the 'baa come through on leaner cuts.

i also like a middle eastern approach, with turmeric, thyme, cumin, bay, cloves, s&p, and a hint of garlic.

Last edited:
with all due respect to buckytom, also meant, I didn't say put it on the lamb (often way too strong) but lightly flavor the oil with it for a minute. And yes there are many other flavorings from curries to lemon and onion. Also great with a lightly cinnamon'd tomato sauce.

darn, you just had to say cinnamon. for some weird reason, i like it when others say they've added it to their delicious dishes, but (like rosemary), when i use it, it's all i can taste. i don't know if it's just in my head or i have a sensitivity to both.
i'm getting better with rosemary lately, and i'm tempted to buy fresh "canela" at the farmer's market and give it a try.

Last edited:
use fresh grated cinnamon stick (micro plane makes a great small spice grater) go easy with it...I think you'll like it. And rosemary I like to use fresh and keep it on the twig and not chop it but just let it infuse whatever ... I'll tie it to the outside of a roast ... gives a hint of flavor rather than a slap your face presence.

Hello i marainaded the Lamb in juice and zest of an orange , 2 garlic cloves , cumin seeds and chilli flakes . It made a change.

Don't often buy lamb. Find it very bland.

A couple of years ago we went to London and the local pub, God bless the locals, had lamb rump on the menu. We both ordered it that day and for the next several days until they ran out. It tasted like the lamb we both knew as kids.

Most lamb we get here just has very little flavor so we rarely buy it.

But to me five minutes a side on a thin slice of lamb is a bit too long, at least for my tastes.

Lamb, in my humble opinion, should be pink in the center.

Tough to cook that way on a thin slab.

Glad they turned out wll, nicklord. I did lamb shanks last week, and out of respect to buckytom will not say how I did them. :LOL: but, the first forkfull into my mouth told me it was mutton!:ohmy:

I know what you mean regarding the lamb but i find leg if lamb is very lamby and unfashionable mutton has a nice taste too.

If you peel off the "fell" on a leg of lamb and trim some of the fat, it will taste a lot less "lamby". At least that has been my experience. I use rosemary and garlic to infuse into olive oil. as well.

Darn it, sorry about the cussin', but I like the muttony taste. The lamb we get just doesn't have it and we can buy lamb from a lady that raises them.

They seem to have bred out the lamb flavor from the beasts.

Gosh I truly miss the flavor of a good lamb chop or leg.

But I guess a bland piece of meat is what most folks want.

Darn again, sorry.

I love the smell of lamb roasting. It wafts through the house and has you drooling before it is anywhere near done. Lamb is probably the meat I cook the most. We have good lamb here IMO.

Back
Top Bottom