Lamb fat from frenched ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rainee; Are those mandarin oranges I see accenting the platter? Did you use an orange glaze? With my pork crown roast, I marinated the pork in mandarin orange juice with onion and garlic. I used the oranges in a brown-rice stuffing that I had pre-cooked and place into the roast before barbecuing with smoke. The flavor combinations were great. I would make an educated guess that as the texture and flavor of pork and lamb are similar, lamb having a bit more pungeant or wild flavor than pork, the oranges would work well with your roast as well. I'm a curious fellow and would love to compare your technique and recipe to my own. I might just learn something, as you obviously have a great deal of experience with barbecue. Thanks in advance.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

You are correct on the oranges. No glaze, but it does use the oranges in the stuffing.

Here is the recipe.

crown roast of lamb
3-4 slices bacon
1/2 cup sliced leek or green onions
1 package (5 oz) wild brown rice with mushrooms
2 cups boiling water
1 small can mandarin oranges
salt & pepper

Season the roast lightly with salt & pepper and set aside. Fry bacon until crisp, remove from heat, drain and crumble. Saute leeks or green onions in bacon drippings until soft. Stir in rice and toss with drippings; add boiling water and seasoning mix. Bring mixture to a boil, lower heat and cover pan. Simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and add crumbled bacon and 1/2 madarin oranges. Toss lightly. Place raost in a foil pie pan. Fill roast with rice mixture. Place a piece of foil over top of raost, just to cover top. This will keep rice and rib tops from over browning. After cooked, let rest on warm platter for 15 minutes.

Smoke about 2- 21/2 hours.

Very similar to my own roast. Teh main difference was that I marinated overnight in Mandarin Orange juice mixed with regular orange juice, chopped onion, and garlic. I used brown rice, cooked with onion, and salt. I didn't want too much citrus flavor in the rice. I trimmed the roast before marinating it and frenched the bones. Then, I just placed the cooked rice on the inside circle, put a bit of foil over the bone tips and some mandarin orange slices on top of the rice, covered the rice partway with foil, and placed between a divided bed of charcoal, with apple wood on the fire to create the smoke. Cooked covered until the thermometer read 150 and removed from the barbecue. Placed the orange, red, and yellow bell peppers on the grill to lightly brown a bit and placed on a platter bed of purple flowering kale. Placed orange slices on top of the rice and served.

Now can I make a run-on sentence or what! :D

Oh, and Rainee, it appears we have similar tastes.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

i bought some gorgeous lamb rib chops at costco the other day, and i'm going to french the bones so as to make "lollipop" chops. there is a good amount of meat in the fatty part that i'm going to cut away, so i was wondering if there's anything i could do with it, like rendring it in a stew or something. any ideas anyone?
Middle Eastern cuisine commonly uses Lamb fat and if stored in the freezer can last for around 6 months. My suggestion is to render the fat by "roasting" the tidbits in a 250-degree oven. I use the breastbones, which yields about two cups of rendered fat.
Blend mirepoix, some parsley or other herbs, a bit of red wine or dry vermouth to make a paste, rub over your product and add some chicken stock to the roasting pan. Adding a small bit of salt helps the fat to evaporate the water but do not add so much as it will also assist in breaking down the fat molecules faster. Adding these ingredients will infuse the fat with a lovely flavor and roasting adds an additional sweetness. Strain off the clarified fat as you go and store it in glass or thick plastic container in the freezer.
It can then be used in cooking with bitter greens, rich flavored vegetables or any meats such as venison, rabbit, turkey, beef, etc. The fat will bring on a secondary richness that otherwise would not be there.
If you do not want a strong flavor, simply cut the fat ratio with other more mild fats. That is the beauty of being a chef; you know how to tweak things to make a great flavor profile.

Back
Top Bottom