Lamb 'Hotpot'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
Lamb Hotpot with Celeriac and Potato
Long, slow cooking really brings out the flavour of an update on the traditional dish, Lancashire Hotpot
Serves 4
Takes about 15 minutes to prepare and about 2hours 30 mins to cook

650g lamb neck fillet (or leg steaks if you can’t find neck of lamb)
2 tbsp plain flour, seasoned
3 tbsp sunflower oil
2onions, sliced thinly
150g chestnut mushrooms,, roughly sliced
3-4sprigs of fresh thyme
500ml hot lamb stock
Approx 350g celeriac, peeled and thinly sliced
300g floury potatoes, (I use King Edwards) and thinly sliced

Preheat the oven to 150°C, gas mark 2.
Trim any excess fat from the lamb and cut into chunky, bite-sized pieces.
Place the seasoned flour on a plate and use it to coat the lamb pieces .Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan and fry the lamb in 2 batches for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned. Drain on kitchen paper then place in a 2-litre casserole dish.
Add the onions to the pan with another tablespoon of oil and fry for about 2 minutes until beginning to soften. Spoon in the remaining oil, the mushrooms and the thyme sprigs and fry for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to soften. Add to the lamb and pour in the stock.
Layer the celeriac over the lamb, top with the potato slices and season. Put on the lid and cook for 1½ hours then remove the lid and cook for a further hour, or until the potato topping is crisp and golden. Leave to rest for 15 minutes before serving with Chantenay carrots and lightly-steamed tenderstem broccoli (I think it might be known as broccolini in the USA?)

Last edited:
I love lamb and have three three legs left in the freezer.
I'll show Paul this recipe and see if he wants to try it.
Thanks for posting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom