Lamb with dauphinoise-style potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
Picked this recipe up as a give-away card at my local supermarket. I'm going to make this for Sunday lunch this weekend.

Serves 4

600ml red wine
3 sprigs each of rosemary, thyme and sage, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 black peppercorns
2 x best end of lamb, French trimmed
2 leeks
425ml double cream, plus 150ml for the sauce
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 sprigs of sage
3 medium-sized floury baking potatoes
2 teaspoons truffle oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 leek, finely sliced
4 large, dried morels
600ml red wine
600ml lamb stock
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon tomato purée
2 black peppercorns
1 sprig fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Combine the wine, herbs and garlic. Season. Place lamb in a plastic container or large bowl and pour in the marinade.

Wash and dice the leeks finely and put into a pan with the double cream, garlic and seasoning. Bring to the boil, then leave to stand for 20 minutes. Shred sage and mix into the cream. Scrub potatoes and cut into thin slices. Layer the potatoes with the leeks/cream mixture in a square, oven proof dish (I use the smaller le Creuset pan that I use for lasagne) Cover with baking paper and bake at 200C/Gas mark 6 for 30 mins. Remove paper and continue baking at 180C/Gas mark 4 for another 45 minutes or so.​
For the cream sauce, bring the 150ml of cream to the boil and reduce by half. Using a hand blender, add the oil and some pepper so that the sauce is light and frothy. Add salt to taste.

For the jus, sauté the onion, garlic and leek in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add the morels, wine, stock, bay leaf, tomato purée and peppercorns. (If you have any lamb bones, add them now.) Bring to the boil and skim off any impurities. Simmer for 1 hour, strain and return to the heat. Add the rosemary and reduce to about 300ml. Just before serving, remove the rosemary, season to taste and blend in the extra virgin olive oil using a hand blender.

Remove the lamb from the marinade and pat dry. Seal the meat in a hot sauté pan with a little olive oil. When it is browned, place in an oven preheated to 180°C/gas mark 4 for 10-15 minutes. Leave to rest for 10 minutes before carving.

To serve, place a portion of dauphinois on each plate with 3 lamb cutlets, a little of each sauce and vegetables of your choice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom