Macadamia Nut Crusted Australian Lamb Chops W/Bordelaise Sau

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Macadamia Nut Crusted Australian Lamb Chops W/Bordelaise Sauce

Makes one serving

Ingredients
1/4 rack of Australian lamb chops
2 Tbsp. Grainy mustard
1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup Macadamia nuts
Salt and pepper
2 Tbsp. Olive oil

A necessary ingredient for this dish is the Australian lamb chops. They are more juicy and succulent when compared to the American lamb chops. They can be purchased on-line from several different exotic meat companies. If necessary, local lamb chops can be substituted. The Australian chops pair well with the sweet toasted macadamia nuts. Macadamia nuts are available in most supermarkets. They are indigenous to Australia, but now are heavily farmed in Hawaii.

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Macadamia nuts should be lightly toasted and chopped coarsely before mixing the bread crumbs, and then set aside. Planko bread crumbs are used in Japanese cooking and are available at many Asian food markets.

Trim the meat completely away from the end of the rib, so that part of the bone is exposed. This process is called "frenching" the chop and is already done on those chops that are ordered from specialty companies. Next, cut the ribs apart from each other to make individual chops. Season the chops with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a medium sauté pan over high heat, then sear the chops on each side until brown. Do not cook chops past rare. Remove chops from pan and lightly coat with the grainy mustard. Next, dust the chops with the breadcrumb and macadamia mixture. Place chops on a rack on a baking tray and put into oven until coating is toasted to a golden brown. They should take approximately 6 minutes. Lamb chops should be cooked until medium rare. For well-done chops, decrease oven temperature and continue to cook for 5-6 minutes more.

Bordelaise Sauce
1 Tbsp. Butter
1 Tbsp. Flour
2 tsp. minced Shallot
2 tsp. fresh Parsley
1 Bay leaf
1/4 tsp. dried Thyme
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup beef broth
2 Tbsp. dry Red wine

Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Next, add flour and stir until smooth. Continue to stir while cooking for an additional minute. Stir in shallots and herbs, then gradually add broth and wine. Stir constantly while cooking over medium-high heat; until thickened. Remove bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over chops and garnish with fresh chopped parsley or chives.

That sounds delicious, I often buy frenched lamb cutlets so I am a few steps ahead in this recipe already lol. And I don't have to go on the internet to get Australian lamb! I didn't realise it was any different to the rest of the world's lamb, thanks for sharing that.

Gee, I am rather late to this thread but......

It was a very nice compliment for our lamb Raine. I'm with you mrsmac, I would have thought there would be no difference in the quality between the two countries. So I will take your word on that Raine.

I've never made Bordelaise Sauce before, but it does sound delicious. Anything with red wine gets me everytime...:)

Sounds good. How can I adapt the recipe to let's say, serves six, and what do you recommend I could use in place of Australian lamb chops? TIA.

Back
Top Bottom