My Albertsons has lamb chops of late

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I haven't seen lamb chops like this in stores for 25 years.

They're kinda thin cut, I haven't cooked one up yet, but still...I'm stoked to see these for sale now. I bought the last pack they had.

Weird thing is, lamb is going for quite a bit more than what they charge. Lamb is double that price.

I'll cook one up and see if it tastes sufficiently "lamby" and report back here. They look good tho, don't they? I just don't want them to taste like cheap beef. To tell you the truth, they look a bit too full of fat veins to be like the lamb chops I remember from decades back. Like I said, they may be hard to tell apart from beef.

albertsons_lamb.jpg

Last edited:
Shoulder lamb chops should be flavorful. They are a cheaper cut than loin or rib chops but deliver a lot of lamb flavor. I sometimes use them for stew. My mom used to broil them.

Shoulder lamb chops should be flavorful. They are a cheaper cut than loin or rib chops but deliver a lot of lamb flavor. I sometimes use them for stew. My mom used to broil them.

They do make a really favorable stew. I made a lamb stew with some a couple of weeks ago. And of course I just had to add the barley. :angel:

Nice find Caslon!

Be sure to snip the ring of fat around them every inch or so with your kitchen shears, they will lay flat that way without curling. I'd season them and pan fry or broil. Don't over cook them. Yummmm...

Yes, that last chop is rather fatty. I broil them on my Norpro broiling pan after marinating them in olive oil, garlic, rosemary, squeezed lemon, sage, S&P.

Last edited:
I must not have been raised right. I can't ever remember being served mint jelly with a lamb chop. But at least I did get to eat lamb at an early age. Applesauce was served with pork. I remember that. And I continue it to today.

As good a cook as my mother was, she was a very basic cook. Meat, starch and a veggie was like a mantra to her. Dessert was a very special treat for special occasions. But every bite was delicious.

When I was growing up, we ate lamb more than beef. Never knew about mint jelly until a lot later.

Back
Top Bottom