Recipe ideas for Lamb Shoulder Chop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
So I was feeling kinda adventurous when I was at Wegmans today, so I picked up one .8 Lb. lamb shoulder chop to cook for myself tonight. I've never cooked lamb before, and am actually unsure if I've ever even eaten it before.

Any ideas on how to cook it? I'd like to maybe incorporate a red wine/shallot sauce in with it, if that would work, but I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!

This is a dish my mom used to make all the time. Below is my recreation of it.

String Beans and Lamb

1 Tb Oil
3/4 Lb Lamb1
1 Onion, minced
4 Garlic
1 Tb Tomato Paste
14 Oz Canned Tomato
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Allspice
1 Lb String Beans
2 tsp Lemon Juice

Brown the lamb in the oil over medium high heat.

Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft.

Add the tomato paste and stir it into the mixture. Cook for 3-4 minutes.

Add the tomato, paprika and allspice. Simmer for one hour.

Remove the meat from the bones (if any), cut into small pieces and return to the pan.

Add the beans and lemon juice and simmer for 20 minutes.

1 Use ½ pounds of shoulder lamb chops or a pound of lamb shoulder.

Yield: 4 Servings

I prefer my lamb chops to be very simple. I just sprinkle a little garlic powder (or rub some fresh crushed garlic on) and broil them.

:)Barbara

With a lamb steak I am a minimalist.

A gentle sauce with mushrooms would work well.

Serve with a rice pilaf, couscous, or roasted potatoes.

As for a veggie you can pretty much do as you will. Haricot verts, stewed tomatoes, something comforting would go well.

I frequently buy small chops like that for myself. I either briefly pan-fry them like I would a steak, with the same condiments - either soy sauce or Worcestershire, sauteed mushrooms/onions, etc.; or I sprinkle them with hot curry powder before sauteeing & serve them over rice mixed with curried sauteed vegetables.

So I was feeling kinda adventurous when I was at Wegmans today, so I picked up one .8 Lb. lamb shoulder chop to cook for myself tonight. I've never cooked lamb before, and am actually unsure if I've ever even eaten it before.

Any ideas on how to cook it? I'd like to maybe incorporate a red wine/shallot sauce in with it, if that would work, but I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!

You can cook it like beef of the same cut. Whatever you do to beef, do to this. I love these grilled with a little balsamic or lemon butter. Also good with A1 believe it or not.

Shoulder chops are less tender and have more waste than the rib or loin chops we are accustomed to treating like fine beef.

While they can be grilled, they are also great in longer cooked dishes.

Last edited:
Shoulder chops are less tender and have more waste than the rib or loin chops we are accustomed to treating like fine beef.

While they can be grilled, they are also great in longer cooked dishes.

Definitely true there, you got to know your grill and your fire! Get these on and shoot for medium rare on the rare side and take them off and serve hot and fresh. Great stuff. But you need to be careful and know your grill. A minute or two on the long side, and you get leather.

Recipes for Lamb Shoulder Chops

I'm defrosting two large shoulder chops right now. I always braise (slow cook) shoulder chops. They are not particularly tender but they have tons of flavour.

If you enjoy curry, you could brown them along with some chopped onion and finely chopped garlic; drain most of the fat and stir in curry powder to your taste and cook for a few minutes so that it doesn't have a 'raw' taste. Add chicken stock, chopped tomatoes with their juice or apple juice, and simmer, covered, till tender - usually about 40 minutes depending on chops.

Thicken the juices with a flour and water paste, if desired. (I like to just thicken the juices slightly so that it's not a heavy, "gummy" sauce. Serve with rice or couscous. Sprinkle with chopped parsley or cilantro. Great with traditional chutney accompaniment. Now you know what I'm having for dinner. Allow 1 large chop per person or 2 chops if they're small.

Bon appetit!

I agree, I use shoulder chpos for stews and curries, and quick saute loin or round chops (much more tender.) but the advice you have is great. s & p , garlic and rosemary are traditional and yummy lamb accompaniments.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom