Tried and True, Another Terrine Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
This terrine uses a combination a combination of meat strips, and seasonings to create your very own sandwich loaf, but one that is far better than any you can purchase at a grocery store.

Ingredients:, (all with bones)
1/3 pound pork steaks
1/3 lb. chicken (white and dark meat)
1/3 lb. lamb roast
Rubed Sage
Salt
Cracked Black Pepepr
Granulated Garlic
1 large onion, minced
1/2 lb. streaky bacon
water

Remove the bones from the meat and crack the bones. This includes the chicken bones. Remove the skin from the chicken. Place the chicken skin, and all bones into a sauce pan with 1 tbs. cooking oil. Lightly brow. Add water to cover, and let simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.

While the broth is reducing, slice the meat into bacon-sized strips. Butter the bottom and sides of a loaf pan. Preheat the oven to 400'F
Combine all meat strips with the remaining ingredients.

Press the bacon strips to the bottom and sides of the loaf pan to cover. Place a layer of chicken, and lightly sprinkle with the seasonings. Add a layer of pork, and season. Follow with a layer of lamb. Repeat, starting again with the chicken. Continue adding layers until the meat is flush with the loaf pan top. Pour prepared broth into the loaf until it saturates the meat. Place the pan over a large pan to catch any drippings. Bake until a meat thermometer reads 160' F in the deepest part of the loaf. Cover and refrigerate until cold.

Remove from teh loaf pan by dipping the loaf pan in hot water, then running a knife around the pan's inner edges. Invert over a serving tray or plate. slice as you would lunch meat. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This terrine uses a combination a combination of meat strips, and seasonings to create your very own sandwich loaf, but one that is far better than any you can purchase at a grocery store.

1/3 pound pork steaks
1/3 lb. lamb roast
Rubed Sage
Salt
Cracked Black Pepepr
Granulated Garlic
1 large onion, minced
1/2 lb. streaky bacon
water

Remove the bones from the meat and crack the bones. This includes the chicken bones. Remove the skin from the chicken. Place the chicken skin, and all bones into a sauce pan with 1 tbs. cooking oil. Lightly brow. Add water to cover, and let simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.

While the broth is reducing, slice the meat into bacon-sized strips. Butter the bottom and sides of a loaf pan. Preheat the oven to 400'F

Press the bacon strips to the bottom and sides of the loaf pan to cover. Place a layer of chicken, and lightly sprinkle with the seasonings. Add a layer of pork, and season. Follow with a layer of lamb. Repeat, starting again with the chicken. Continue adding layers until the meat is flush with the loaf pan top. Pour prepared broth into the loaf until it saturates the meat. Place the pan over a large pan to catch any drippings. Bake until a meat thermometer reads 160' F in the deepest part of the loaf. Cover and refrigerate until cold.

Remove from teh loaf pan by dipping the loaf pan in hot water, then running a knife around the pan's inner edges. Invert over a serving tray or plate. slice as you would lunch meat. Enjoy.

What tool do you like to use for cracking bones? I have a heavy-duty nut cracker, but it doesn't always work. Thinking some sort of tool one would keep in a toolbox...recommendations?

Yeah, most chicken bones can be cracked with a whack of even just the back of your knife( the reverse of the heel, near the tang). chicken bones aren't too bad to deal with, at all.

Lamb Terrine as an ingredient, can be quite interesting ... Shall give this a try for the Labor Day Weekend ... I have never tried preparing a Terrine with Lamb Roast as ingredient.

Thanks for posting.
Margaux.

Lamb Terrine as an ingredient, can be quite interesting ... Shall give this a try for the Labor Day Weekend ... I have never tried preparing a Terrine with Lamb Roast as ingredient.

Thanks for posting.
Margaux.

You celebrate an American Holiday, as a Canadian/new York/French/Spaniard in Italy?

or, the Canadian Labour day?

Last edited:
Tatt,

Firstly, I was born in Manhattan and my Paternal side of my family had immigrated in 1920 from Milano, Italia to Manhattan. My paternal Grandmom Margherite had worked her way up and eventually partnered a Trattoria where she was Head Chef for many years in Little Italy, downtown Manhattan.

Though I lived in Vancouver City until I was 17 1/2 and received a journalism scholarship to study at New York University School of Journalism; I had never gone back to Vancouver. My father and mother: when dad retired, they moved to Miami Beach where we had a family Condo and we had travelled during long cold winters to Miami.

My Mom Eva, is Swiss French and was born in Basel, Switzerland and her Grand parents, hailed from the Savoie, French Alpine region and they had immigrated to Canada in 1921.

My daughters are dual citizens of the USA and Italia.

Thus, Labor Day Weekend is the last " vacation " weekend in August, before school and professional commitments re-begin ...

It is a reason to celebrate !

I am not Spanish nor is the Vet ... My husband is 100% Italian, never having had a USA Passport. He has a green card, which he was renewing every ten years as we were married and spent some time in NYC, San Francisco, Washington D.C. and South Miami Beach ...

My older daughter Naia, lives in St. Augustine, Florida and my Mom is in Miami Beach.

I had been offered a job for an expat magazine for the Embassies & Diplomatic Community in the Madrid Capital and thus, we had decided to live in Madrid, and my husband, The Vet is involved with Bovine medical care internationally and nutritional research and travels throughout Spain, Uruguay, Argentina, Italia, Brazil & Portugal ...

Have a great August,
Margi.

Last edited:
You celebrate an American Holiday, as a Canadian/new York/French/Spaniard in Italy?

or, the Canadian Labour day?
Labor Day in Canada aligns with the US. As an Ex-pat living in Canada, I don't celebrate US holidays. Why would I? I don't really celebrate Canadian holidays, either. There are only 2 of us and no family, so Canada Day picnic, etc., is kinda a moot point. And, we are both self employed (or, if you prefer the term the bank uses, non-employed), so we can have a day off whenever (more days off than we'd probably like). On our "free days," we fire up the plow, turn the field, pick the veggies, process them, put the canoe in the water, collect sap, saw logs, refinish furniture, make ice cream. For fun, we watch old movies, walk the dogs, watch the chickens (they are far more entertaining than reality TV shows), cuddle.

We are, as much as possible, self-sustaining homesteaders. It works for us--we march to a different drum.

Personally, I think everyone should live on a farm at some point in life. I invite all my friends with kids to come out and collect eggs, pick veggies, etc.

Last edited:
That sounds amazing!

1/3 pound pork steaks
1/3 lb. lamb roast
Rubed Sage
Salt
Cracked Black Pepepr
Granulated Garlic
1 large onion, minced
1/2 lb. streaky bacon
water

Back
Top Bottom